I downloaded the latest 4.0 DVD last nite and tried to boot today with the following results
The disk was seen, and the text boot prompt appeared.
Note this system has 512MB of ram with an integrated I910GL controller sharing memory. The video controlller is set for 128MB at the moment.
I selected knoppix, and later knoppix fb1280x1024 and the boot began.
The coloured text screen showing hardwared detection showed over 300MB allocated to the swap drive.
Detection continued for a while, stopping when the screen clears, and (I believe) the graphics display mode is entered.
At this point, multi-colored vertical lines started to appear on the display, (the text was gone).
Drive activity continued (probably unaware it was running in the video ram space.
Any suggestions?
Thanks for any help.
Jim
I've been able to boot to level three.
Running dmesg, shows the video card recognized.
I believe the problem is the shared memory is allocating space the is in the video card work space.
The smalles aperature I can set for the display is 128MB. I only have 512MB of ram in the system.
When running windows, only 11MB is shown as used.

Vintage 1988 Apple Macintosh Plus 1MB M0001A Computer Keyboard WORKING See Video
$225.00
VINTAGE Apple Mac OS X Computer Monitor
$250.00
Apple Macintosh DuoDock Duo Dock M7779 & Powerbook 230 Vintage Mac RARE Vintage
$224.10
Apple iBook G4 A1054 1.07GHz PowerPC G4 256MB RAM Mac OS X 10.4.11
$52.47
Vintage Apple Macintosh Keyboard M0110A Untested No Cable Yellowed
$69.99
185--Sonnet Crescendo G3 PPCG3-375-5-K-06 G3 Add-On Card for Vintage Mac
$90.00
Apple Macintosh 512K M0001W Vintage Mac Untested Turns On For Parts
$299.99
Vintage Macintosh lc iii Software Floppy Disks + Books Good Condition Untested
$100.00
Vintage Clear M6531 Apple Pro Speakers by Harman Kardon For iMac G4
$38.00
Retro iMac G3 "Sorry, No Beige" Premium Mug – 11oz of Pure 1998 Energy
$11.00