-
Howto: Installing Ximian Evolution
Evolution uses some lib files that have been moved in Debian. Here is how I was able to install Ximian Evolution 1.0.5 after much frustration.
Use apt-get to install Evolution
apt-get update
apt-get install evolution
At this point if you try to run evolution you will get the error: Cannot initialize the Ximian Evolution shell: Configuration Database not found. This is because a program called wombat can not find some lib files. You can confirm this by running /usr/lib/evolution/wombat.
These files have been moved from /usr/lib/ to /usr/lib/mozilla/ (another copy is also kept at /usr/lib/openoffice). Copy the following files from /usr/lib/mozilla/ to /usr/lib/:
libplc4.so
libplds4.so
libnspr4.so
libssl3.so
libsmime3.so
libnss3.so
libsoftokn3.so
Note libssl3.so has the letter L in it not the number one.
Now Evolution should run just fine
-
Senior Member
registered user
Evolution Applications Section
Hi MattT , Hi all.
This looks like a good solution.
The forum
http://www.linuxtag.org/forum
has a section for applications:
Fragen zu Knoppix-Anwendungen
It would be nice if this english forum had
more sections.
Your post may be appreciated at:
KNOPPIX-DE / Anwendungen / Bestes E-Mailprogramm für KDE
or
KNOPPIX-DE / Anwendungen / Ximian > evolution <
Best Wishes
-
Senior Member
registered user
MattT,
Thanks!!! This worked like a charm. I didn't think that I would be able to get Evolution working on this hdinstall, but now it's working fine. There is still lots of Gnome stuff broken but at least for now I have Evolution working.
Adam
-
Senior Member
registered user
Can this be considered a bug in the debian evolution package ? I thought apt-get install means I don't have to manually do any of these ? If I build it from the tarball, that would be another issue.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Oh I'd deffinitely call it a problem. But I'm pretty sure this is something that is known about. The only real issue is where certain libs are placed. Probably just a problem for those who are mixing and matching releases (stable, testing, unstable) like Knoppix does.
I'm more concerned with thte fact that Gnome 2 has genuine bugs in it. I can't get it installed on my Knoppix hdinstall for the life of me - packages are broken for the moment.
Similar Threads
-
By kelmo in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 5
Last Post: 05-09-2004, 09:20 AM
-
By bob58 in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 04-11-2004, 05:11 AM
-
By fitsnips in forum Ideas
Replies: 6
Last Post: 08-26-2003, 08:20 PM
-
By ITMan in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 07-16-2003, 09:12 PM
-
By stefan_isaacs in forum The Lounge
Replies: 1
Last Post: 05-29-2003, 02:05 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

HP ProLiant BL460c Gen9 DUAL E5-2690v3 DDR4 ECC 2x CADDY NO DRIVES NO MEMORY/RAM
$30.00

Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR
$95.20

Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working
$149.99

Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5" 2x PERC 8, 2xCMC, I/O 1GB Pass Through, 4x PS
$578.08

Dell PowerEdge VRTX 2.5"x25 Bay Blade Enclosure 4x1600W + 4X M640 (4X Blades)
$1599.99

Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB
$149.99

Datto S4P10 1U Blade Rack Server Intel Xeon D-2143IT 2.20GHz 48GB DDR4 4-Bay PSU
$197.76

Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5ââ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays
$799.99

Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 256GB DDR3 RAM NO HDD
$349.99

Cisco UCS 5108 Blade Server Chassis Enclosure N20-C6508 4x PSU 8x Fans 2x Fabric
$174.99