Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: deciphering netcardconfig

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2

    deciphering netcardconfig

    I don't know if this goes in the boot section or the network section. I just flipped a coin, so feel free to move it if it's not in the right place. On boot up Knoppix doesn't recognize the integrated network card as both wired and wireless, only wired. I'm in the process of configuring my Knoppix.sh script to configure and activate my wireless connection so I don't have to run any supplimentary commands each time I boot knoppix. My problem is that in order to get the wireless card working I need to run netcardconfig, which has a gui front end; something not appropriate for bootup. What I'm trying to find out is how to replace the stuff done in netcardconfig with real command line commands and/or file modifications. Can anyone help me or point me in the right direction for deciphering this command?

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    4
    Hi

    Test some of this commands:

    I'v just tested out two different pcmcia cards with knoppix 4.0 and just had to configure the wifi settings. I started a consol and changed to root ( su -) no password. Then I typed iwconfig and found lo, eth0 and eth1 so I tryed iwlist eth0/eth1 scan but the cards didt support it. Then I tryed to configure the cards with iwconfig eth0 essid "the network name" and it did't complain so then i set iwconfig eth0 channel 3 and then iwconfig eth0 enc xxxxxxxxxx where the x are my encryption key. The next thing I did was network-setup chosed wlancard to accept dhcp. Viola I'm on the net.

    Nine1one4u

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    205
    netcardconfig is a bash-script located at /usr/sbin/netcardconfig so you might want to try to understand what it does, if you know enough bash-scripting.
    Code:
    knoppix@1[knoppix]$ which netcardconfig
    /usr/sbin/netcardconfig
    knoppix@1[knoppix]$ head -n4 /usr/sbin/netcardconfig
    #!/bin/bash
    # netcardconfig - A very light-weight text-based network configuration tool.
    # (C) Klaus Knopper Nov 2002
    
    knoppix@1[knoppix]$

Similar Threads

  1. netcardconfig only works with DHCP?
    By ezust in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-16-2005, 08:45 PM
  2. netcardconfig doesn't work after apt-get install
    By dobell in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-19-2004, 10:09 PM
  3. quarrel with Netcardconfig
    By arthag in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-31-2004, 10:31 PM
  4. netcardconfig?
    By Zak in forum General Support
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 09-23-2003, 01:00 PM
  5. netcardconfig doesn't work
    By JNeuhoff in forum Networking
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-23-2003, 04:43 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage DEC Digital Equipment Flip-Chip Module Lot Parts picture

Vintage DEC Digital Equipment Flip-Chip Module Lot Parts

$59.99



Vintage DEC Digital T1043 DWMBB/B VAXBI XMI Adapter 5018232-01 C1 VAX Board picture

Vintage DEC Digital T1043 DWMBB/B VAXBI XMI Adapter 5018232-01 C1 VAX Board

$109.99



Vintage Digital VR241-A color CRT monitor, powers on, DEC Rainbow or terminal picture

Vintage Digital VR241-A color CRT monitor, powers on, DEC Rainbow or terminal

$150.00



Vintage DEC Digital XMI-A1 5017293-01A1 LWPR BE3-0 VAX Circuit Board T2012 picture

Vintage DEC Digital XMI-A1 5017293-01A1 LWPR BE3-0 VAX Circuit Board T2012

$74.99



DEC Digital DECmate III PC238 PDP-8 6120 RX50 Dual Floppy Vintage Computer picture

DEC Digital DECmate III PC238 PDP-8 6120 RX50 Dual Floppy Vintage Computer

$649.95



Vintage DEC Digital Equipment DELNI 8-Port Ethernet Local Network Hub VAXstation picture

Vintage DEC Digital Equipment DELNI 8-Port Ethernet Local Network Hub VAXstation

$79.95



Rare Vintage DEC DIGITAL DFO3 modem ~Powers Up but UNTESTED #1 picture

Rare Vintage DEC DIGITAL DFO3 modem ~Powers Up but UNTESTED #1

$75.00



Vintage DEC LK201 Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) LK201-AA Computer Keyboard picture

Vintage DEC LK201 Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) LK201-AA Computer Keyboard

$149.99



Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7) picture

Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7)

$279.99



Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW picture

Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW

$269.99