-
Old AST PC pentium 100 with SCSI CD-Writer:Fail to boot.
Hi,
First of all, I am newcomer to Linux. I need any help. Thanks.
I have a very old PC: AST Pentium 100 with a SCSI CDR-Writer Ricoh MP6200S. The SCSI adapter is AC520 of Advanced Core Inc.
I tried to use Knoppix on this old PC. I first made a boot floppy diskette. After I put the boot diskette into the floppy drive and Knoppix CD into the CDRW, I powered on the machine. The boot diskette boot the system, but it failed to mount the CD file system since it can not find the CDRW and the system prompt for the device driver module for the SCSI card. Since I do not have one, I told it to autoprobe,but failed. After that the system booted with a very limited one.
Would anyone give me some advice?
Windows 98 can be installed on the PC successfully. So I am certain Knoppix will also be installed. On Windows, the SCSI card is identified as AHA 150x/1510/152x/AIC 6xx.
Thanks for any help!
crackjap
-
Senior Member
registered user
I looks like the module you'll use is the aha152x, I have some old ISA adaptec cards with that chip, I can't get knoppix 3.1 to recognize them (I haven't tried knoppix 3.2). I can use the card in Libranet 2.0 (debian woody) it has a spare hard drive hooked up to it.
If you have an onboard (built-in) scsi controller or a pci scsi card, to start up knoppix you would use:
knoppix aha152x *+ any other cheat-codes
I don't know if this will work for knoppix on your hardware but it might.
How much memory do you have? Knoppix and most newer linux distro's need quite a bit of memory and a fairly fast processor.
HTH
rock
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Old AST PC pentium 100 with SCSI CD-Writer:Fail to boot.

Originally Posted by
crackjap
The boot diskette boot the system, but it failed to mount the CD file system since it can not find the CDRW and the system prompt for the device driver module for the SCSI card. Since I do not have one [..]
You do have one, for the OS there's no difference between a card stuck in a PCI or ISA slot, or it being hardwired to the bus (on-board of the mobo). You can let windows sort the devices by connection/bus, you will see that your card is listed on the ISA bus (at least if
RockMumbles is correct).
off topic, but... how much is RAM installed? If you do a harddisk install, could you put up message here how (fast) it runs? I would ditch my old Suse 6.4 install if I knew it would run nicely in X. btw, try booting in XFCE or Fluxbox
-
Thank all of you!
Now I think I need the device driver for my SCSI AC520.
Would anyone tell me where i can get it?
Similar Threads
-
By Morris Jones in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 11-08-2004, 10:12 PM
-
By Fredrik Staxäng in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 03-26-2004, 10:49 AM
-
By dougvega in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 07-26-2003, 12:01 AM
-
By Locri in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 10
Last Post: 03-30-2003, 07:12 AM
-
By RdH in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 01-29-2003, 01:32 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$378.93

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99

Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2224 3.50GHz 8GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W
$285.97

Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700
$289.99

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD
$149.99

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$488.00

Dell PowerEdge R330 8-Bay SFF | Xeon E3-1270 v5 | 16GB | 10GbE | Dual 350W PSU
$199.00

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD
$99.99

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores | 32gb | HBA330 | 2x 1...
$324.99