Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Able to create knoppix.img, but will not detect on startup

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2

    Able to create knoppix.img, but will not detect on startup

    I am running ver 4.0.2 on a PIII 1GHz machine. I am not able to have my persistent image detected on startup. I am using a 80GB USB HD with 6 total partitions on it. The image file gets created on logical partition /mnt/sda7 (ext2) without error. I create a few files in the /home/knoppix folder to verify that I am able to write to the partition after the image is created. Now after I restart, the contents of my /home gets blown away with none of my files present. During the boot process, I get no prompt asking me if the persistent image file found should be loaded like the wiki stated. I also read somewhere that during bootup, I should see a message to the effect of "Mounting /mnt/sda7/knoppix.img as /home/.... I have never seen this message. I have also tried the following cheatcodes without success:

    knoppix home=/dev/sda7
    knoppix home=/mnt/sda7
    knoppix home=scan

    So what am I missing?

    Everything that I have read about the persistent image says it should just work.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    8
    I'm haveing trouble with the persistent image too. I use the same at startup but want to mount the image on my usb drive [ knoppix home=/mnt/sda1/knoppix.img ] . My problem is that know matter what I do I always get a message that pops that it found the image and do I want to mount it. If I don't do anything it doesn't mount it. So I have to tell it to mount it each time I boot. Babysitting the boot up is a real pain. I'm trying to figure out how to not ask me to mount it... like maybe some switch that means mount and don't ask if it is ok.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2
    Not exactly, I dont even get the message asking if I want to use the knoppix.img when I boot from the USB HD.

    Another fact for the pool, using a zip 100 drive, Knoppix was able to find and boot from the image. The zip drive appeared on sda4. I didnt even have to type in any cheat codes at startup. I did notice that the primary partition on the zip disk was FAT 16 and was also marked as boot. Are either of these required for a persistent boot image??

Similar Threads

  1. Need Knoppix to detect my HD...
    By Bluebones in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-08-2005, 12:47 PM
  2. HOWTO: Create a KNOPPIX CD with your own startup script
    By ekr12 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-06-2005, 09:30 PM
  3. Knoppix Cannot detect my modem
    By technolamb in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-05-2005, 07:30 PM
  4. Knoppix can't detect my BJC-1000sp
    By openk in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-16-2003, 12:33 PM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-25-2003, 02:39 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$115.00



Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026 picture

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026

$13.99



Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU picture

Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU

$649.00



All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive picture

All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive

$15.95



OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC picture

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC

$175.00



NVIDIA Jetson TK1 + Intel NUC Compute Cluster Tray w/ Netgear 16-Port Switch picture

NVIDIA Jetson TK1 + Intel NUC Compute Cluster Tray w/ Netgear 16-Port Switch

$499.99



ZimaBoard 2 1664 Home Server 16GB picture

ZimaBoard 2 1664 Home Server 16GB

$350.00



Maxed HP MicroServer Gen8 3.5GHz Xeon E3-1270 V2 16GB RAM 40TB RAID 1TB SSD NAS picture

Maxed HP MicroServer Gen8 3.5GHz Xeon E3-1270 V2 16GB RAM 40TB RAID 1TB SSD NAS

$1499.00



SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA picture

SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA

$284.99



BOSGAME E4 Air Mini PC, AMD Ryzen 5 3500U 8GB DDR4 256GB SATA SSD picture

BOSGAME E4 Air Mini PC, AMD Ryzen 5 3500U 8GB DDR4 256GB SATA SSD

$169.99