I installed Knoppix 4.02 to my external USB HDD and here follows a summary of my experiences....
I used a multi-user system with hardware detection (I think it is called "beginner")
The install completed sucessfully
The system did not boot from the drive though. Grub had to be manually installed (using the grub shell). menu.lst had to be edit edit to change the root to (hd0,0) rather than (hd2,0) due to the way the BIOS boots USB drives.
I then booted into a kernel panic. The initrd was edited to include all usb host drivers. (The panic might have been due to an issue knoppix 4.02 had with my PC).
It then booted, while giving a "FATAL" error about not being able to find sd_mod. Pressing enter had the boot process continuing....
Moving to a different PC I was shocked to see that the hardware detection did not work correctly. This was fixed by replacing knoppix-hd-autoconfig with knoppix-autoconfig. With all these changes knoppix boot and runs fine (except for the sd_mod issue mentioned)
I hope you can learn from my experience and improve the installer in the future, maybe adding a option for an USB install.

Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT500MX500SSD1
$52.99
SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL STATE DRIVE
$214.99
Samsung 860 EVO 250GB, SATA III, 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive - Black...
$30.00
Kingston 128GB M.2 SATA III SSD
$13.00
Western Digital WD Blue 3D NAND 500GB 2.5in SATA III Internal SSD WDS500G2B0A
$44.99
M.2 SATA SSD 2280 128GB 256GB 512GB major brands | Very Good health
$35.99
2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON
$28.80
Samsung 860 EVO 500GB 2.5" SATA III SSD MZ-76E500 MZ7LH500HALU
$50.00
Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive
$39.99
Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot
$549.00