-
Senior Member
registered user
Adding ISO boot to lilo
Hello, I am having no success trying to add an entry to boot directly off the KnoppiX5 DVD image I downloaded with bit-torrent. I have extracted the kernel and miniroot files but would otherwise like to boot from the ISO image directly. The download is OK, and a similar setup is actually working if I extract the two big cloop images, but the "bootfrom" cheatcode has never worked for me, so perhaps I am misusing it... hdc5 is formatted as NTFS
Code:
image=/boot/KNOPPIX_V5.0DVD-2006-02-25-DE.kernel
initrd=/boot/KNOPPIX_V5.0DVD-2006-02-25-DE.mrt.gz
label=knoppix5dvd
vga=0x317
append="ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init bootfrom=/dev/hdc5/Download/ISOs/KNOPPIX_V5.0DVD-2006-02-25-DE.iso lang=en apm=power-off nomce quiet "
I suspect it's got useful information buried, but the "ISO boot from FAT/NTFS/USB (GRUB.exe, grldr from boot.ini)" thread has just grown absurdly long, sorry.
-
Re: Adding ISO boot to lilo

Originally Posted by
kirol
Hello,
If you would just have looked at the end of the thread, you would have find out that you need an alternate minirt file:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...=101334#101334
The minirt_usb5.gz is first required to boot the iso (bootfrom cheatcode) from a ntfs partition (ntfs drivers)
and then according to other post ( http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...=101407#101407 ),
the minirt_usb5.gz also fix a linuxrc bug preventing the fromhd cheatcode to work properly in the Knoppix 5.0 release.
My 2 cents,
Gilles
-
Senior Member
registered user
Thank you very much Gilles, it is now working thanks to your miniroot. The same machine also had a "traditional" PMI (KNOPPIX cloop copy, not directly from ISO), which I had to rename, though. Is there a way to avoid the scanning for KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX iimages under all detected filesystems which seems to take precedence over the "bootfrom" method? Also, I am curious, does the stock knoppix never work off NTFS, but only through your corrected minirt? That'd be a worthwhile addition to the standard release, it seems!
-

Originally Posted by
kirol
Thank you very much Gilles, it is now working thanks to your miniroot. The same machine also had a "traditional" PMI (KNOPPIX cloop copy, not directly from ISO), which I had to rename, though. Is there a way to avoid the scanning for KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX iimages under all detected filesystems which seems to take precedence over the "bootfrom" method?
Yes technically it is possible, but I always try to minimize the changes from the official linuxrc
in order to reduce the risks and simplify the upgrade from releases to releases.
This is one of the quite complicated and somewhat not that well written part of the linuxrc boot script.
Since it is not very desirable to modify the iso file to make it work,
I suggest to rename your KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX cloop file path (as you have done) and update
accordingly your kernel bootloader command line with the knoppix_dir and/or knoppix_name cheatcodes.

Originally Posted by
kirol
Also, I am curious, does the stock knoppix never work off NTFS, but only through your corrected minirt? That'd be a worthwhile addition to the standard release, it seems!
So far yes and I would like to see it in the next release as well, but this is really up to Klaus.
I tried several times to propose my solution via the debian-knoppix mailing list but without success.
Nevertheless I may understand one reason for Klaus not having done it yet:
For some mysterious reasons to me, Isolinux (which is used by Knoppix to boot the cd/dvd)
doesn't look like capable to handle large minirt boot ramdisks. Reason for Knoppix to now have
a \boot\modules directrory on the cd to store the modules that cannot fit inside the minirt.
The minirt file had to grow in order to contain the ntfs driver and some other tools
for the double loopback required for the iso boot. And obviously the ntfs driver cannot be read
from the /boot/modules directory since it will require the ntfs driver to perform the ntfs read from the iso.
A complete remodeling of the linuxrc and the minirt could make sense but there is an other work around.
I couldn't remaster Knoppix with my minirt when using isolinux but it works great
when I use grub as the cd/dvd bootloader (bootloader also used by the Kanotix cd), cf:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...?p=99669#99669
I wish that Klaus will consider a grub boodloader for his cd/dvd and then use an improved minirt
with ntfs support and some of my other addons as custom static and dynamic hostnames (mac_adr or time), ...
Best Regards,
Gilles
-
Senior Member
registered user
Thanks again for taking the time to explain.
If isolinux is currently the problem, perhaps it'd be worth contacting Kano for inclusion of your mods in his superior remaster?
I have several older knoppices lying on my HD as PMI's; would you happen to know since when the knoppix_dir cheatcode is supported?
Cheers,
kirol
-
Senior Member
registered user
Kirol,
If you do a Google search for:
Cheatcodes Knoppix
you get a good selection to read.
From this you find Knoppix_dir was listed for v. 3.4 but not v. 3.3
Kano's Kanotix will already boot as a PMI from NTFS using the minirt from the CD. No need to alter as Gilles had to do to Knoppix.
ICPUG
-
Senior Member
registered user
Ah thanks, I am lucky then as I have 3.4, 4 and 5 lying around on my HD, and can boot them all as PMI's thanks to this "knoppix_dir" I did not know about.
Similar Threads
-
By HiniBa in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-12-2005, 06:13 AM
-
By keava in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 10-20-2003, 05:24 PM
-
By anmar in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 2
Last Post: 10-05-2003, 11:13 PM
-
By averylowiq in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 3
Last Post: 08-13-2003, 03:36 PM
-
By hairston4 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 07-13-2003, 05:28 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$378.93

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99

Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2224 3.50GHz 8GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W
$285.97

Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700
$289.99

Dell PowerEdge R730 8Bay 64Gb 1x80Gb SSD 4x900Gb SAS 2x12c v4CPU 1100ws, 2GPUCbl
$660.00

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD
$149.99

Dell PowerEdge R730 8 Bay Server 64Gb 1x80Gb SSD 3x900Gb SAS 2x12c v4CPU Proxmox
$620.00

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD
$99.99

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores | 32gb | HBA330 | 2x 1...
$324.99