Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: ramdisk boot problem

  1. #1

    ramdisk boot problem

    Hi,

    I try to remastering Knoppix 4.0.2 with my own custom kernel on a 32-bit host.

    I used the 'Remaster From Hd Install HowTo' method.
    I've gotten the sources for kernel 2.6.15 from kernel.org and compiled it fine.
    I used apt-get install for cloop-src (version 2.01.5-4) and unionfs-source (version 1.0.11-1) and make-mpkg modules_image to build cloop.ko and unionfs.ko
    I modified the minirt.gz to integrate the new kernel and modules

    when I boot the cd with qemu, I have this message :

    ...
    Creating /ramdisk .... Done.
    ERROR: CANNOT UNITE READ-ONLY MEDIA AND INITIAL RAMDISK!

    Can anyone help me with this?

    thank
    antoine

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    272

    Re: ramdisk boot problem

    Quote Originally Posted by antoine.boutet
    Creating /ramdisk .... Done.
    ERROR: CANNOT UNITE READ-ONLY MEDIA AND INITIAL RAMDISK!
    I think that either your unionfs.ko is not working or your minirt.gz file is corrupted. Try to pack minirt.gz again and see what happens.

    If you don't get that working, perhaps you would like to use my kernel http://tapsa.terae.net/linux/knoppix....6.16-archck1/

    My kernel is compiled with archck1 patchset and unionfs is compiled with the kernel as a module by default. Just install linux-image and cloop .deb packages and copy unionfs.ko and cloop.ko (and scsi modules if you need them) to the /modules directory inside minirt.gz. Also make sure you linux is copied under isolinux directory from an installed .deb package and renamed to linux.

    Tip:
    I don't rename my installed linux kernel to linux but to vmlinuz as in Debian DVD. That kernel I put under some subdirectory and copy vmlinuz and minirt.gz there. Then just making path in isolinux.cfg finds that kernel. By this way I can have many different kernels installed and booted from my DVD. Here's a part from my isolinux.cfg for an example:
    Code:
    LABEL linux
    KERNEL default/vmlinuz
    # linux-2.6.16-archck1 kernel
    APPEND ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=fi apm=power-off vga=791 initrd=default/minirt.gz nomce quiet BOOT_IMAGE=knoppix dma

  3. #3
    I read your last posts and I have a similar problem when I test modules by modprobe

    modprobe cloop is ok but not modprobe unionfs

    # modprobe unionfs
    unionfs: Unknown symbol __rcuref_hash
    FATAL: Error inserting unionfs (/lib/modules/2.6.15/kernel/fs/unionfs/unionfs.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)

    # dmesg
    unionfs: Unknown symbol __rcuref_hash

  4. #4
    If you don't get that working, perhaps you would like to use my kernel http://tapsa.terae.net/linux/knoppix....6.16-archck1/

    My kernel is compiled with archck1 patchset and unionfs is compiled with the kernel as a module by default. Just install linux-image and cloop .deb packages and copy unionfs.ko and cloop.ko (and scsi modules if you need them) to the /modules directory inside minirt.gz. Also make sure you linux is copied under isolinux directory from an installed .deb package and renamed to linux.

    I can't use your kernel because I want realized a knoppix with the ipv6 mobility support (http://www.mobile-ipv6.org/)
    So, I applied on my kernel the patch of the mipl which is only kernel 2.6.15.

  5. #5
    So, I take a look on the HOWTO : Upgrading the kernel from firnsy present on this forum

    I followed all steps

    for cloop, I use apt-get install and make_kpkg modules_image to build cloop.ko.
    The test with modprobe is fine

    for unionfs, I use the 1.0.14 like in the howto
    in the step #make unionfs2.6 I have a warning :

    Code:
    __rcuref_hash undefined!
    in the step #make install it stop with an error

    Code:
    uuid_t undeclared
    this error is mentioned in the INSTALL file of the 1.1.1 version :

    Code:
    if you get an error like this :
    unionimap.h:9:23 uuid/uuid.h: No such file or directory
    Followed, by more parse errors, then you need to make sure you have e2fsprogs-devel installed (or your distribution's equivalent)
    Under Debian, it is e2fslibs-dev and I have this package

    however this error, the unionfs.ko is present in the directory. Without the -g debug option, I get an unionfs.ko of 2.0MB

    To place the new kernel and modules under the minirt.gz I must delete scsi directory.

    And, when I boot from the iso with qemu I have the same error ....

    ERROR: CANNOT UNITE READ-ONLY MEDIA AND INITIAL RAMDISK!

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    272
    Quote Originally Posted by antoine.boutet
    modprobe cloop is ok but not modprobe unionfs

    # modprobe unionfs
    unionfs: Unknown symbol __rcuref_hash
    FATAL: Error inserting unionfs (/lib/modules/2.6.15/kernel/fs/unionfs/unionfs.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)

    # dmesg
    unionfs: Unknown symbol __rcuref_hash
    See tread HOWTO: Upgrading the kernel
    You are not alone with unionfs compiling problem.

    I'm not sure but it seems to be impossible to compile unionfs with some kernel patches. I could not compile unionfs with realtime preemption patch. My solution was to use two different kernels - one with unionfs and the other one with rt patch without unionfs, using Kanotix's linuxrc.

    -tapsa-

  7. #7
    Hi,

    I take a look on your site http://tapsa.terae.net/linux/knoppix...inux-2.6.15.1/

    I must use a 2.6.15 kernel from kernel.org and just apply a special patch for my work and I have lot of problems with unionfs.

    Has your kernel 2.6.15.1 been patched ?

    So, is it possible I use your configuration like base and your unionfs-modules-2.6.15.1_1.1.1....deb ???

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    272
    Quote Originally Posted by antoine.boutet

    Has your kernel 2.6.15.1 been patched ?

    So, is it possible I use your configuration like base and your unionfs-modules-2.6.15.1_1.1.1....deb ???
    That kernel is the only single processor kernel in my site that is not patched. The following version 2.6.15.2 is patched wiht reiser4 and suspend2 patches.

    You can use my configuration (based in Knoppix 4.0.2's configuration but including many new modules that were not available when that Knoppix version was released), but to apply your own patches you must use that same 2.6.15.1 vanilla kernel from kernel.org when compiling. Somethings it is impossible to apply any patches to an other kernel than basic kernel version - I mean 2.6.15 and not 2.6.15.1 etc.

    I have just compiled a new 2.6.16 single processor kernel with new beyond1 patches and with initrd:
    http://tapsa.terae.net/linux/knoppix....6.16-beyond1/


    -tapsa-

  9. #9
    Hi,

    I restarted all the manips and it is fine now ...

    My iso doesn't fit in a cd, so I just tested with qemu and I have some strange messages :

    ACPI: Unable to locate RSDP
    PCI: PIIX3: Enabling Passive Release on 0000:00:01

    The Autoconfig devices bar is very long and after I have :

    mount: /dev/pts already mounted on /dev/pts
    mount point 0 does not exist

    INIT:
    Entery run level: 5
    /etc/init.d/alsa: Warning: The start method is deprecated and will be removed
    Use the alsa-utils initscript instead


    I think the mount problem is here because I boot the iso with qemu but the others I don't know ???

    thanks

  10. #10
    An another question :

    By default, knoppix activate network interfaces with dhcp. Where I can change it and other network configurations ???

    I don't find in linuxrc ...

    thanks

Similar Threads

  1. Cd Boot error-cannot unite read only media with ramdisk
    By TimHudson in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-28-2005, 04:43 AM
  2. /ramdisk
    By joshuabok in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-01-2004, 05:55 PM
  3. USB Boot floppy runs out of ramdisk space
    By TyphoonMentat in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-27-2004, 08:12 AM
  4. How i resolved the problem of ramdisk
    By ckassab in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-07-2004, 03:47 PM
  5. How to get rid of the ramdisk /dev/shm?
    By glukorizon in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-05-2003, 08:48 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡ picture

🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡

$109.99



Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P picture

Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P

$149.99



Juniper Networks EX3400-24T 24-Port Ethernet Switch w/Power Cord picture

Juniper Networks EX3400-24T 24-Port Ethernet Switch w/Power Cord

$174.99



Juniper EX3400-24P 24-Port PoE+ GbE + 4-Port 1/10Gb SFP Switch picture

Juniper EX3400-24P 24-Port PoE+ GbE + 4-Port 1/10Gb SFP Switch

$245.00



JUNIPER QFX5120-48Y-AFO 48x 10/25GbE SFP28 8x 40/100GbE Network Switch Dual PSU picture

JUNIPER QFX5120-48Y-AFO 48x 10/25GbE SFP28 8x 40/100GbE Network Switch Dual PSU

$6998.00



Juniper Networks QFX-SFP-DAC-7MA to Brocade (Formerly) XBR-TWX-0701 Comp TAA picture

Juniper Networks QFX-SFP-DAC-7MA to Brocade (Formerly) XBR-TWX-0701 Comp TAA

$196.99



Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply picture

Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply

$7299.99



Juniper Networks AP33-US Indoor Wifi6 (US Version) 5GHz: 4x4:4; 2.99 picture

Juniper Networks AP33-US Indoor Wifi6 (US Version) 5GHz: 4x4:4; 2.99

$24.99



Juniper Networks Mist Wireless Access Points, Model AP45 picture

Juniper Networks Mist Wireless Access Points, Model AP45

$59.99



Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port Gigabit PoE Managed Ethernet Switch picture

Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port Gigabit PoE Managed Ethernet Switch

$79.99