-
Serious problem. Can't start X. Please help.
Hi all, I'm New to Linux. Never worked with it in the past, but I guess everybody starts sometime.
I have very old Toshiba 3110ct laptop. PII-300mhz/128mb ram/30gb hdd. It is ultra-slim model, so it has neither cd-rom, nor floppy, nor network card, and it can't boot from usb. So Ha had to borrow from the friend his Laptop which can boot from cd-rom., (he isn't using it anyway) I Put my harddisk in his laptop. Booted from Knoppix LIve cd. Than I used an option for hard disk install, and installed sucsessfully to the harddisk (including grub setup). Than put my hdd to my laptop, booted. Linux startup went fine, untill the point , where it had to start X.
It didn't work, Here is the error i got:
fatal server error:
no screens found.
XIO: fatal IO error 104 (Connection reset by peer) on X server " :0.0"
after 0 requests (0 known processed ) with 0 events remaining
I must add that beforehad I tried to install DSL linux and encountered the same problem - X didn't work. Even if I just put this (my) harddisk to friend's laptop - it boots and launches graphical interface, as it should. In the DSL forum, i was told that probably because DLS is only 50mb distro, it doesn't contain xfree68, but only vesa.
Than I googled, and searched for this forum, than tried to launch "Xf86cfg", there i chosed my monitor (which is 800x600), and my sisplay adapter (Trident cyber 9525 2.5mb videoram) and than saved x86 config file.
AFter reboot I have still the same error.
I'm starting to think that no current destribution is going to work on my old lap. Is there a chance that some 3-5 year old knoppix could work on my computer? And where i get this old stuff?
Thanks.
Similar Threads
-
By Phrage in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 10-22-2006, 04:59 PM
-
By mikekgr in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 07-03-2006, 09:02 PM
-
By blackbird in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 12-20-2004, 01:21 PM
-
By sirmax in forum General Support
Replies: 5
Last Post: 04-08-2003, 04:10 AM
-
By gabcicala in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-27-2003, 05:20 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD
$1299.99

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM
$149.99

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620
$199.99

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series
$375.00

IBM SERVER SLED WITH HDD SCSI 8.8GB ,P005043441, AS IS,UNTESTED
$165.00

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES
$108.92

IBM Power S824 12Bay 4U Server - 2x Power8 CPU, 512GB DDR4, MT: 8286-42A
$1731.00

IBM 4262 SYSTEM x3200 Tower - HDD Wiped, NO OS
$80.00

IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU
$250.00

IBM 9532-AC1 FLEX SYSTEM X240 M5
$194.99