I would take a look at the cheatcodes and then try xserver and/or xmodules and see if the works. You can also do 'dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg" from command,ine a try a reconfigure your x. good luck.
Hi all, I'm New to Linux. Never worked with it in the past, but I guess everybody starts sometime.
I have very old Toshiba 3110ct laptop. PII-300mhz/128mb ram/30gb hdd. It is ultra-slim model, so it has neither cd-rom, nor floppy, nor network card, and it can't boot from usb. So Ha had to borrow from the friend his Laptop which can boot from cd-rom., (he isn't using it anyway) I Put my harddisk in his laptop. Booted from Knoppix LIve cd. Than I used an option for hard disk install, and installed sucsessfully to the harddisk (including grub setup). Than put my hdd to my laptop, booted. Linux startup went fine, untill the point , where it had to start X.
It didn't work, Here is the error i got:
I must add that beforehad I tried to install DSL linux and encountered the same problem - X didn't work. Even if I just put this (my) harddisk to friend's laptop - it boots and launches graphical interface, as it should. In the DSL forum, i was told that probably because DLS is only 50mb distro, it doesn't contain xfree68, but only vesa.fatal server error:
no screens found.
XIO: fatal IO error 104 (Connection reset by peer) on X server " :0.0"
after 0 requests (0 known processed ) with 0 events remaining
Than I googled, and searched for this forum, than tried to launch "Xf86cfg", there i chosed my monitor (which is 800x600), and my sisplay adapter (Trident cyber 9525 2.5mb videoram) and than saved x86 config file.
AFter reboot I have still the same error.
I'm starting to think that no current destribution is going to work on my old lap. Is there a chance that some 3-5 year old knoppix could work on my computer? And where i get this old stuff?
Thanks.
I would take a look at the cheatcodes and then try xserver and/or xmodules and see if the works. You can also do 'dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg" from command,ine a try a reconfigure your x. good luck.

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p
$499.88
DELL POWEREDGE R340 Server | Xeon E-2126G 64GB RAM PERC H330 (Onboard)
$399.95
Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00
Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server
$349.99
Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$484.99
Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$308.00
Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99
Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$381.93
VMware vCenter Server 8 STANDARD Perpetual License Key VC-STD-C (Legacy Pack)
$1599.95
Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003
$639.69