Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: qtparted: create unavailable

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1

    qtparted: create unavailable

    Hi,
    I'm trying to repartition the NTFS (XP sp2) original primary partition of a 100 GB HDD on board of a dell inspiron 9400 using QTparted.

    I selected the largest NTFS partition (the system comes with a few orther partition for recovery and some other features).
    I reparted it in two parts: 60 GB + 30 GB. However, when I select the new 30 GB partition only the "property" option is available. The others are in grey and can't be selected. I commit it but I can't yet "create" the partion.

    Any idea?

    Cheers,
    p

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Define few.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    15
    I do not know if this helps but I have noticed qtparted strugles when you have to many things do
    so comit changes as you go
    I also found that it does not like reiser fs

    if you give some more info we might be able to help more

    good luck

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    58
    Good Day Pagheca,
    Welcome to the forums. Hope that they are helpful and that like us you find other good information and ideas to pass on.
    I did a ntfs resize using the Knoppix disk and the fdisk cmd with both a standard IDE ( under SP1 ) and a 64 bit SATA drive (uder SP2). On the former fdisk ran very smoothly and gave me no problems. Having said that, I couldn't reduce the partition sise for Win XP Pro to less than 57 GB. On the 64bit ( BTW all CPU's are AMD Athelons 2400 & 2600) I got winblow$into a little bitty 24 GB box ( & it still runs ).
    The problem I had was with the linux partitions I created on the other 120GB of the drives in ext2fs. none of them were usable. I am told that the SATA format is the problem. So using the trusty old cfdisk I redid the partitions. All was visible but SuSE 9.2 would not see the partitions so I could not install. So you might consider using fdisk/cfdisk or one of it's variants instead of qParted if this is an ide drive. I hope that this suggestion may be of value to you.
    I Remain ~ In Service & In Health,
    Captain Cautious[/quote]

  5. #5
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: qtparted: create unavailable

    Apparently pagheca doesn't want to have a dialog, but doesn't seem to understand partitioning either.
    Quote Originally Posted by pagheca
    I selected the largest NTFS partition (the system comes with a few orther partition for recovery and some other features)....I reparted it in two parts: 60 GB + 30 GB.....
    pagheca used the word few above, which to me means more than two, or at least three, and he used this in addition to the NTFS partition, meaning he has 4 physical partitions on the disk already as far as I can tell (and not getting any feedback from him).
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

Similar Threads

  1. QTparted
    By Andy G in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-29-2008, 11:00 AM
  2. CD drive unavailable ...
    By asearle in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-22-2006, 12:38 AM
  3. how can i burn QtParted ,to create a boot CD,?
    By duah55 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-21-2004, 03:27 PM
  4. xchat unavailable V3.2-2003-09-05
    By JoDaY in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-13-2003, 04:01 PM
  5. /dev/modem unavailable after built a CDROM...HELP
    By maxidea in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-03-2003, 05:06 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡ picture

🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡

$119.00



Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P picture

Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P

$149.99



JUNIPER NETWORKS MIST AI AP63-US HIGH PERFORMANCE OUTDOOR ACCESS POINT - WHITE picture

JUNIPER NETWORKS MIST AI AP63-US HIGH PERFORMANCE OUTDOOR ACCESS POINT - WHITE

$59.99



Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port Gigabit PoE Managed Ethernet Switch picture

Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port Gigabit PoE Managed Ethernet Switch

$79.99



Juniper SRX320 8-Port Security Services Gateway Appliance w/ AC Adapter picture

Juniper SRX320 8-Port Security Services Gateway Appliance w/ AC Adapter

$59.99



Juniper EX2300-C-12P POE+ Switch 12 x 1GbE & 2 SFP+ 10G uplinks picture

Juniper EX2300-C-12P POE+ Switch 12 x 1GbE & 2 SFP+ 10G uplinks

$124.99



Juniper Networks EX2300 (EX2300-48P) 48 Ports Ethernet Switch picture

Juniper Networks EX2300 (EX2300-48P) 48 Ports Ethernet Switch

$249.99



Juniper EX2300-48P 48-Port SFP PoE+ Managed Gigabit Ethernet Network Switch picture

Juniper EX2300-48P 48-Port SFP PoE+ Managed Gigabit Ethernet Network Switch

$64.99



Juniper QFX5100-48S-3AFI 48-Port SFP+ 6 QSFP+ 2x SFP/RJ-45 Management picture

Juniper QFX5100-48S-3AFI 48-Port SFP+ 6 QSFP+ 2x SFP/RJ-45 Management

$249.97



Juniper QFX5100-24Q-3AFo 24x QSFP+ Ports Dual MGMT 2x AC Power QFX5100-24Q-AFo picture

Juniper QFX5100-24Q-3AFo 24x QSFP+ Ports Dual MGMT 2x AC Power QFX5100-24Q-AFo

$586.63