-
SUGGESTION: Specify hostname cheatcode
I think that it would be great to be able to specificy the hostname that will be reqistered with the DHCP server (and, by extension) Dynamic DNS (if it is configured). Right now, the hostname is knoppix. The way our dynamic DNS is set up, conflicts between hosts with the same name result in the second one being incremented with a -<number>.
So the first one to boot is knoppix.dhcp.example.com. The second conflicts so it is incremented as knoppix-1.dhcp.example.com and so on down the line.
I have handed out so many knoppix discs and our DHCP leases are so long on campus that this is beginning to become a problem.
If I just had the ability to pass the name that I would like to be registered during a bootup cheatcode, I could differentiate my system (so that I can find it when it is in server mode) more easily.
So, Klaus (and everyone else) what do you think?
thanks.
Similar Threads
-
By probono in forum Ideas
Replies: 0
Last Post: 09-18-2004, 11:25 PM
-
By Valhalla in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 03-25-2004, 07:53 PM
-
By WimG in forum Networking
Replies: 5
Last Post: 09-27-2003, 04:16 PM
-
By jensen in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 07-18-2003, 10:30 PM
-
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-29-2003, 12:11 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$115.00

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026
$12.99

1U Rackmount PC Intel Core i5-2520M 8GB RAM 500GB HDD Ubuntu Linux Server
$109.99

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 512GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$128.00

All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive
$15.95

Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU
$649.00

Dell Optiplex 7050 SFF Server (256GB NVME, 8GB RAM, i5-7500 @ 3.8Ghz)
$75.00

ESET Server Security (File Security) | Variant Item | Download Version
$136.15

Sun Enterprise e450 400mhz cpu(x4), 4gb ram, 9gb HD w/spud most complete on ebay
$500.00

SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA
$284.99