Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: SUGGESTION: Specify hostname cheatcode

  1. #1

    SUGGESTION: Specify hostname cheatcode

    I think that it would be great to be able to specificy the hostname that will be reqistered with the DHCP server (and, by extension) Dynamic DNS (if it is configured). Right now, the hostname is knoppix. The way our dynamic DNS is set up, conflicts between hosts with the same name result in the second one being incremented with a -<number>.

    So the first one to boot is knoppix.dhcp.example.com. The second conflicts so it is incremented as knoppix-1.dhcp.example.com and so on down the line.

    I have handed out so many knoppix discs and our DHCP leases are so long on campus that this is beginning to become a problem.

    If I just had the ability to pass the name that I would like to be registered during a bootup cheatcode, I could differentiate my system (so that I can find it when it is in server mode) more easily.

    So, Klaus (and everyone else) what do you think?

    thanks.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    I second the motion! I too would find this very useful. How about a cheat to specify a dummy IP address too? Could these setting then be saved with floppyconfig or persistant home?

    Regards,

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    297
    Quote Originally Posted by A. Jorge Garcia
    I second the motion! I too would find this very useful. How about a cheat to specify a dummy IP address too? Could these setting then be saved with floppyconfig or persistant home?

    Regards,
    That is already possible. If zou sue persistent home/config zou an do this.

    cu

    Fabian

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    297

    Re: SUGGESTION: Specificy hostname cheatcode

    Quote Originally Posted by cascadefx
    I think that it would be great to be able to specificy the hostname that will be reqistered with the DHCP server (and, by extension) Dynamic DNS (if it is configured). Right now, the hostname is knoppix. The way our dynamic DNS is set up, conflicts between hosts with the same name result in the second one being incremented with a -<number>.

    So the first one to boot is knoppix.dhcp.example.com. The second conflicts so it is incremented as knoppix-1.dhcp.example.com and so on down the line.

    I have handed out so many knoppix discs and our DHCP leases are so long on campus that this is beginning to become a problem.

    If I just had the ability to pass the name that I would like to be registered during a bootup cheatcode, I could differentiate my system (so that I can find it when it is in server mode) more easily.

    So, Klaus (and everyone else) what do you think?

    thanks.
    Thats a great idea:

    And its easy to do, in knoppix-autoconfig:

    -hostname Knoppix
    +HOSTNAME=getbootparam hostname
    +if [ -n "$HOSTNAME" ]
    +then
    + echo "$HOSTNAME" > /etc/hostname
    + hostname $HOSTNAME
    +else
    + hostname Knoppix
    +fi

    In Pseudo-Diff-Format...

    cu

    Fabian

  5. #5

    Re: SUGGESTION: Specificy hostname cheatcode

    Quote Originally Posted by Fabianx

    Thats a great idea:

    And its easy to do, in knoppix-autoconfig:

    -hostname Knoppix
    +HOSTNAME=getbootparam hostname
    +if [ -n "$HOSTNAME" ]
    +then
    + echo "$HOSTNAME" > /etc/hostname
    + hostname $HOSTNAME
    +else
    + hostname Knoppix
    +fi

    In Pseudo-Diff-Format...

    cu

    Fabian
    Thanks Fabian.

    I will try this out, but a cheatcode would be so much better. It makes the straight CD MUCH more flexible.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    1

    hostname?

    hi, i can change the hostname after booting by 'hostname whatever' as root, but it is not saved in my persistent home dir on /hda1.

    i also changed hostname in /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig. that is saved after a reboot, but hostname always stays Knoppix?

    i also edited /etc/hostname which is retained through a reboot, but hostname is always Knoppix?

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    611
    I treid that but it wound up having no hostanme at all, guess the code needs something about checking whether a hostname cheatcode has been entered??

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    2
    Here is a version that takes advantage of the existing functions in /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig to do the work and will function as a cheatcode.

    IN

    /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig

    CHANGE

    # Set hostname
    hostname Knoppix

    TO

    ### hostname
    # Allow hostname specification via commandline. The default hostname
    # will be overridden via "hostname=Knoppix" boot commandline
    HOSTNAME="$(getbootparam hostanme 2>/dev/null)"
    [ -n "$HOSTNAME" ] || HOSTNAME="Knoppix"

    Who feels like testing a remaster?

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    297
    Quote Originally Posted by jmcglash
    Here is a version that takes advantage of the existing functions in /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig to do the work and will function as a cheatcode.

    IN

    /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig

    CHANGE

    # Set hostname
    hostname Knoppix

    TO

    ### hostname
    # Allow hostname specification via commandline. The default hostname
    # will be overridden via "hostname=Knoppix" boot commandline
    HOSTNAME="$(getbootparam hostanme 2>/dev/null)"
    [ -n "$HOSTNAME" ] || HOSTNAME="Knoppix"

    Who feels like testing a remaster?
    Its not necessary to remaster. It should be enough to put this code+some additions into a knoppix.sh, as its sourced by knoppix-autoconfig so functions like getbootparam are available ...

    cu

    Fabian

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    Just how does this code read "getbootparam"? If I put this in knoppix.sh, will I get a prompt to enter the hostname or do I use some sort of cheatcode at bootup?

    BTW, what if I want to set the hostname permanently, can I just specify hostname="alphaCentauri"?

    TIA,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. cheatcode suggestion: user=
    By probono in forum Ideas
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-18-2004, 11:25 PM
  2. change hostname?
    By Valhalla in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-25-2004, 07:53 PM
  3. Can't set hostname.
    By WimG in forum Networking
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-27-2003, 04:16 PM
  4. How do I change the hostname?
    By jensen in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-18-2003, 10:30 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-29-2003, 12:11 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping* picture

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*

$24.00



CISCO 10GBASE-SR SFP

CISCO 10GBASE-SR SFP "Lot of 4” SFP-10G-SR

$47.99



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$699.99



SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT picture

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT

$7.99



Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA picture

Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA

$28.94



HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port  PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+ picture

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+

$16.99



Lot of 5 Cisco 10G SFP+ 850nm 300m Transceiver Module P/N: SFP-10G-SR-10-2415-03 picture

Lot of 5 Cisco 10G SFP+ 850nm 300m Transceiver Module P/N: SFP-10G-SR-10-2415-03

$15.00



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



Dell 10 Gigabit SFP+ SR Transceiver 0XYD50 NEW SEALED picture

Dell 10 Gigabit SFP+ SR Transceiver 0XYD50 NEW SEALED

$24.99