Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: How to mange without a desktop

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2

    How to mange without a desktop

    Hello Everybody..

    I am newbie to KNOPPIX remastering.. I have decided to make a live cd based on knoppix 4.0. My intention is to make a technical presentation with a live cd and also to have instant internet connection using pppoe dialer both on ethernet and wireless modes. I can call it an emergency instant internet connection system with few error codes and sufficient help about adsl technologies...

    I have followed couple of things in this forum and am able to add remove packages and making an iso image image of KNOpPix.. I could even get the logo.16 modified and the background image..

    My problem is that I donot want KDE or any desktop for that matter to start up.. I just want the X to start up and present a menu that I have decided with few options (buttons) on it. Press a button and get the function running... Nothing else... The functions I have planned to incorporate are - a browser, the pppoe tool, wifi manager and an html file about adsl... I do not want the KDE and the programs in it......

    Is there a way to start the suggested menu directly from Xserver? I mean like it happens in happens in freeduc cd ?

    Thanks for your help in advance
    Regards
    Prasad

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    205

    Re: How to mange without a desktop

    Quote Originally Posted by kgmprasad
    My problem is that I donot want KDE or any desktop for that matter to start up..
    Is there a way to start the suggested menu directly from Xserver? I mean like it happens in happens in freeduc cd ?
    I checked out Freeduc-CD at http://www.ofset.org/freeduc-cd and it seems that you are a bit mistaken.
    Freeduc-CD uses XFCE Desktop Environment http://www.xfce.org/, and don't just start a menu from Xserver without any desktop.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2

    Re: How to mange without a desktop

    Quote Originally Posted by malaire

    I checked out Freeduc-CD at http://www.ofset.org/freeduc-cd and it seems that you are a bit mistaken.
    Freeduc-CD uses XFCE Desktop Environment http://www.xfce.org/, and don't just start a menu from Xserver without any desktop.
    Thanq so much... Could you please educate me as to how should I use the same desktop on the remastered version I have made. I have completely removed KDE from the remastered version. Now my X does not start up... It throws an error like "KDE init was not able to startup".. Well I donot know where should I exactly edit ?

    Thanks in advance for the help

    Regards

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    205

    Re: How to mange without a desktop

    Quote Originally Posted by kgmprasad
    Thanq so much... Could you please educate me as to how should I use the same desktop on the remastered version I have made. I have completely removed KDE from the remastered version. Now my X does not start up... It throws an error like "KDE init was not able to startup".. Well I donot know where should I exactly edit ?

    Thanks in advance for the help
    Sorry, I don't know enough to help in remastering.

Similar Threads

  1. no desktop gui?
    By UnLISTEDxX in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-20-2006, 03:30 PM
  2. Want KDE desktop
    By fred0843 in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-12-2005, 10:48 PM
  3. Desktop
    By jr0d82 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-19-2005, 12:14 PM
  4. No Desktop
    By Guider in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-18-2005, 09:33 PM
  5. no kde desktop
    By jon267 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-12-2004, 09:44 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch picture

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch

$39.99



TP-Link TL-SX105 10GB 5-Port Switch - Unopened picture

TP-Link TL-SX105 10GB 5-Port Switch - Unopened

$195.00



D-Link DGS-1210-28P 28-Port PoE Gigabit Web Smart Switch With Cord picture

D-Link DGS-1210-28P 28-Port PoE Gigabit Web Smart Switch With Cord

$49.99



NETGEAR 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch (Gs305) - Desktop Quiet Fanless picture

NETGEAR 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch (Gs305) - Desktop Quiet Fanless

$25.99



TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch picture

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch

$19.99



10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W picture

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W

$39.99



TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern picture

TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern

$15.25



Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts picture

Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts

$69.00



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed picture

TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed

$199.99