Wow! Great response guys! I guess there's a little Microsoft in Knoppix too! Never mind. I'll get the answer some other way; I won't disturb your little boy's club again.
Trying to set up my dial-up connection with a serial 56k DiamondSupra Express modem. I have used this modem successfully in Ubuntu, Xandros, Mepis, Puppy.. I'm not exactly a Newbie, but I'm no expert either and certainly no programmer at all. I am using the Knoppix 4.0 DVD.
Knoppix correctly detects my modem and when I try to connect to the inter-
net, it goes through the proper motions: I hear the modem squeal and see all the lights on it go on. Fine. The K dialer says "Connecting to My ISP Name", as it should. But then, after a very long pause, an error window opens and says "Time out expired while waiting for PPP interface to come
up." A log-in script debug window shows the following:
ATZ
OK
ATM1L1
OK
ATDT455 1869
CONNECT 57600
A modem query returns:
ATI 56000
AT1 255
AT2
AT3 SupraExpress 56 pro V.92
AT4 11151012000 r3000111170000000
AT5 B4
AT6 B4 UK 00
AT7 56DPF - PLL L8571A Rev 30.03/34.00
I would really love to go online with Knoppix; if I could do that, I would give serious thought to a permanent installation of some kind.
Any helpful comments will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Wow! Great response guys! I guess there's a little Microsoft in Knoppix too! Never mind. I'll get the answer some other way; I won't disturb your little boy's club again.
Hi:
I had similar Problem with the same modem, I used pppconfig and use pon and poff for connecting, it works. Try it.
AJ
Lin-X won't try it, apparantly whoever it is lacks the patience and understanding required to use a forum

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor
$39.00
Intel Core i7-9700 3.0 GHz Octo-Core (SRG13) Processor
$79.00
CPU-RAM-MOBO COMBO- 32gb DDR4 3600MHz, i5 CPU, Asus Prime Motherboard
$370.00
HP ProDesk 405 G8 Desktop AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 5650GE 16GB RAM 512GB SSD W11P
$319.99
Intel SRG17 Core i7-9700T Desktop Processor CPU
$74.99
Intel Core i7-9700 SRG13 3.0 GHz Desktop CPU
$80.00
Intel Core i5-14600KF Unlocked Desktop Processor
$259.99
Matched Pair _ Intel Xeon E5-2698 V4 2.2GHz 20-Core Processor CPU LGA2011 SR2JW
$94.99
Intel Core i5-4590T 2 GHz 5 GT/s LGA 1150 Desktop CPU Processor SR1S6
$14.99
GAMING COMBO: ASUS Prime H470M-PLUS MOTHERBOARD + i5-10600KF CPU + 16GB DDR4
$229.95