Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Performace/speed problem with K3b

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1

    Performace/speed problem with K3b

    Hi buddies!

    First i have to plead guilty for being a Knoppix newbie, but finally
    it has attracted my interest. I meanwhile managed to successfully
    boot fromhd=/dev... which runs without any error messages and
    fairly quick, too.
    Starting to explore the numerous applications, i selected K3b,
    but what a disappointment! On my PII, 400 MHz, 128 MB it burns
    DVDs (on the fly) with lame 0.5x ! Running Win98 on the same hardware,
    i typically slow down burning speed to 4x due to quality considerations,
    while the DVD drive would be capable of 16x.
    To me, it appears unlikely that limited memory or the location of the files
    to burn (on an ext. USB 2.0 ext. drive) is the bottleneck.

    Any ideas?


    Regards and compliments for the (so far) quite impressive OS!

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338
    Germanbear,

    First of all, welcome to Knoppix

    From what I "jest" from your post, you are wondering "why" k3b may be running slower on your hardware, than say, Windows98 does????

    From what I can see, you have a Pentium II, running @ 400 MHZ, booted off the hard drive, instead of the CD, you have 128 MB RAM, and your media you are burning the files from is coming from a USB 2.0 connected external drive. Further, I guess you feel burning at 4x speed, versus the 16x speed that your DVD burner device can handle is a problem. Am I correct on my assumptions here???

    From what I can see, and from what I know, I can see many "bottle-necks", possibly, and, with some assuptions and guessing, involved...

    How fast is your hard drive? Speed in both "burst" rate, as well as "sustain" rate, and even the "through-put" speed...

    How good is the media you are using to burn with? Poor quality DVD R media may be detected in the burner, and rates are adjusted accordingly...

    How much swap space do you have? This in combination with the physical memory can have better results. The more physical memory, the more the system, and k3b, can use without having to use external storage, temp files, and swaping in and out of memory, files destined to the burning device...

    How fast is the USB device? How fast is the "burst", "sustain" and through-put rates of that device, and the connection that it is going through???

    As a test, have you tried to move the files from the external USB device to the local connected hard drive you are booted from, and try a burn that way? Does the speed increase, decrease, or same, results???

    Just some ideas

    I burn, mostly, around 4x speed as well, as you said, for quality considerations, some of the Distro ISO files prefer the slower speeds, or they create nice coasters. I have been up to as high as 8x speed, and, yes, my burners (x2) can attain rates as high as 32x speed. I have not worked with my DVD burner yet, it is the newest of my hardware, and havent had the chance to use it yet, but, I do have a CD-RW, and have used cheap media in it, for one time burning, and rewrittable media, better quality, in it... Burn rates have NEVER been at full speed, though... Good media, R ONLY, and with the CD-RW device, I have not been able to burn, successfully, a good CD without it being a coaster, at speeds it "should" be able to do, that being 32x...

    I have two systems, both running hard drive installed Kanotix, which is an "off-shoot" of Knoppix, i.e. a close relation to Knoppix. Both these systems have CD-RW burners in them, a DVD player in one, the other system has a DVD-R+R+RW device. One system is a AMD (32 bit) XP Atholon, running around .5 GHZ, the other system is a AMD (64 bit) 64, running at 2.x GHZ. One system has 512 MB physical RAM with a 512 MB swap, the other system, has 1 GB of physical RAM with a 512 MB swap. All the hard drives are connected via IDE internal, are "somewhat" new drives, possibly within a year, but, they are not rated for "video speeds", thus, the "burst" and "sustain" rates are not capable of access / sending the amount of data required to output 24 FPS video, without some buffers or temp files to handle the delays. Then again, the cost of "video" hard drives is a lot more than I am willing to pay for, too.

    So, not that I have all the answers, or, that I have "your" answers, but, simply, I do not acquire the speeds that my burners are capable of either, with k3b, and, with systems that are more "capable" of possibly doing them, then the system you are describing. Dont know what to tell you? I just live with it...

    Ms. Cuddles
    -=- Come to the Dark Side - We have penguins! -=-

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    36
    Hi Germanbear!

    My suggestion: Try to find a knoppix 3.7, boot that and try another burn with k3b. I observed weird speed penalties lately, also with burning (4x max. speed) with a faster system than yours. Right now I suspect unionfs to be the culprit. Knoppix 3.7 didn't use unionfs yet, so if I'm right, you get what you need

    Alternatively, you could use a different life CD/DVD that does not use unionfs. But not Kanotix, at least the latest one seems to have the same problem as the actual knoppix.

    Good Luck!
    Dirk

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    36
    Harry Kuhman pointed me to the dma-cheat. A new test made clear that my speed problem was indeed caused by dma being off. 3.7 had it on by default, 4.0.2 had not. Therefore, my new suggestion is:
    With Knoppix 4.0.2, at the boot prompt type "knoppix dma" and try burning again. Please post the result, I'm very interested in it.

    More Good Luck
    Dirk

Similar Threads

  1. speed problem
    By vijirin in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-11-2007, 07:15 AM
  2. Can't get usb 2.0 at high speed only full speed
    By play1962 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-09-2006, 06:14 PM
  3. Speed
    By pap2003 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-28-2004, 11:14 AM
  4. CD/DVD Drive Reading Speed vs. CPU Speed
    By migasf in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-26-2003, 07:18 PM
  5. Server Speed
    By aay in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-13-2003, 08:01 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


2x SAMSUNG 32GB DDR4  2RX4 PC4-2933Y SERVER MEMORY M393A4K40CB2-CVFC0 64GB TOTAL picture

2x SAMSUNG 32GB DDR4 2RX4 PC4-2933Y SERVER MEMORY M393A4K40CB2-CVFC0 64GB TOTAL

$300.00



HPE 64gb PC4-2933Y 4DRx4 DDR4 ECC LRDIMM Server Memory P03054-091 P06190-001 picture

HPE 64gb PC4-2933Y 4DRx4 DDR4 ECC LRDIMM Server Memory P03054-091 P06190-001

$399.99



Micron MTA36ASF2G72PZ-2G1B1 16GB DDR4 2RX4 PC4-2133P-RBB-11 Server Memory RAM picture

Micron MTA36ASF2G72PZ-2G1B1 16GB DDR4 2RX4 PC4-2133P-RBB-11 Server Memory RAM

$70.00



SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory picture

SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory

$159.98



[ LOT OF 19 ] Samsung 8GB 1RX8 PC4-3200AA RDIMM DDR4 ECC-25600 Server Memory RAM picture

[ LOT OF 19 ] Samsung 8GB 1RX8 PC4-3200AA RDIMM DDR4 ECC-25600 Server Memory RAM

$699.00



Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



Sandisk 16GB 32GB 64GB 128GB Cruzer Blade Flash Drive Memory Stick USB Lot Pack picture

Sandisk 16GB 32GB 64GB 128GB Cruzer Blade Flash Drive Memory Stick USB Lot Pack

$175.90



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



SK Hynix 16GB HMA42GL7MFR4N-TF 2Rx4 PC4-2133P ECC REG Server Memory RAM picture

SK Hynix 16GB HMA42GL7MFR4N-TF 2Rx4 PC4-2133P ECC REG Server Memory RAM

$120.00



RDIMM MICRON  DDR5 SERVER MEMORY 1x16 Sticks  5600 RAM picture

RDIMM MICRON DDR5 SERVER MEMORY 1x16 Sticks 5600 RAM

$449.00