Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Bad Linux Hard Drive - Wanna Use Knoopix to Recover Files

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    9

    Bad Linux Hard Drive - Wanna Use Knoopix to Recover Files

    Hello:

    I am trying to recover my files from a bad hard drive using Knoppix.

    1. I was running Read Hat Linux on an IBM ThinkPad when the hard drive failed. It get to the point of booting and just spins and gives seek errors on the console.

    2) Knoppix_V5 to the rescue ... so I thought.

    3) When I boot up Knoopix, it gets to the point "Scanning for Harddisk partitions and creating /etc/fstab ...."
    It starts behaving the same as in step 1 above because Knoppix is trying to read the hard drive.

    4) I can remove the hard drive and boot Knoppix but then I don't know how to mount the hard drive.

    Can you help me with this? I want to do something like e2fsck -C -c -p -y /dev/hda1 so that I can see if this will repair the disk. I want to get the files off /home/rossi/.

    Any advice will be extremely appreciated.

    Kind regards,

    Angelo

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    boot knoppix with the cheatcode:
    knoppix nofstab noswap

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    9
    Hello:

    Thank you for the tip. It worked!! I was able to

    1) mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 and copy /home/rossi to a external drive.

    2) fix the hard drive with e2fsck. When I shudown the knoppix system and tried my hard drive, it booted!!!

    I am not taking and chances though. The hard drive still has a death rattle. I have ordered another drive.

    Thanks again.

    Warm regards,

    Angelo


Similar Threads

  1. recover files on flash drive
    By riehlman in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-09-2008, 10:17 PM
  2. Transferring files from linux to external usb hard drive
    By metsn05 in forum General Support
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-01-2008, 07:45 AM
  3. Please help.. USB Hard Drive .. need to recover data
    By Chris2222 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-11-2008, 03:01 PM
  4. Any way to recover files from hard disk?
    By flowergardener in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-12-2005, 10:02 PM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-09-2005, 06:11 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX picture

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX

$59.99



GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5 picture

GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5

$189.99



Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery picture

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery

$54.99



ASUS PRIME Z890-P WIFI Z890 LGA 1851 ATX motherboard, IntelĀ® Coreā„¢ Ultra Series picture

ASUS PRIME Z890-P WIFI Z890 LGA 1851 ATX motherboard, IntelĀ® Coreā„¢ Ultra Series

$235.99



GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard picture

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard

$59.99



MSI B550M PRO-VDH Micro-ATX Motherboard - AMD AM4, Ryzen 5000/4000/3000 Ready, P picture

MSI B550M PRO-VDH Micro-ATX Motherboard - AMD AM4, Ryzen 5000/4000/3000 Ready, P

$71.49



Asus Prime B660M-A AC D4 Motherboard Intel LGA 1700 14th 13th 12th Gen DDR4 picture

Asus Prime B660M-A AC D4 Motherboard Intel LGA 1700 14th 13th 12th Gen DDR4

$79.99



ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio picture

ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio

$34.99



ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield picture

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield

$84.99



ASRock IMB-X1314 LGA 1700 Intel W680 DDR4 Quad display Micro-ATX Motherboard picture

ASRock IMB-X1314 LGA 1700 Intel W680 DDR4 Quad display Micro-ATX Motherboard

$351.99