-
access to local file system
I inherited a Redhat linux box but I have no passwords for it. I could nuke it and be done with it but I would like to get a couple reports off the machine. I have knoppix running on it and I can see the directory the files are in but I don't know how to gain access to the locked directory. Ideas?
-
Easiest way is to boot up from the machine (don't use Knoppix) and when you get to the Lilo prompt (press Esc if you have a graphical display), type "linux single" or "linux 1" at the prompt and then press enter - this takes you to Single User Mode, which gives you root access. Then at the prompt, type "passwd root" (no quotes), and it'll ask you to type in a password, which will be your new one, and then it'll ask again to make sure you did it right. Bingo!
Similar Threads
-
By b0b-0001 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 6
Last Post: 04-07-2004, 05:56 AM
-
By evermuse in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 03-28-2004, 12:31 AM
-
By stephen_w_simpson in forum General Support
Replies: 8
Last Post: 03-19-2004, 03:36 PM
-
By Drewby in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 11-03-2003, 06:54 PM
-
By freyley in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-31-2003, 09:21 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor
$114.99

INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH
$179.99

Lenovo ThinkCentre M920s SFF Barebones PC Motherboard PSU DVD No CPU RAM SSD
$27.99

AMD - Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core - 16-Thread 3.4 GHz (4.5 GHz Max Boost) w/ Ice Pad
$355.99

Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151
$79.99

Intel Core i5-4590 3.3 GHz 5 GT/s LGA 1150 Desktop Processor CPU SR1QJ
$10.99

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor
$39.00

Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 SR153 3.3GHz Quad Core LGA 1150 CPU Processor
$14.49

PS5 Over Heating Problem Solver 1.5 Grams Liquid metal thermal paste CPU, GPU
$15.99

INTEL CORE I9-10980XE PROCESSOR | 3.00GHZ | SRGSG
$299.99