Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: xboard networking over LAN?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256

    xboard networking over LAN?

    OK, I've read all the xboard man files and info files and I'm totally flumoxed!!!

    I know how to use xboard to play chess as white or black against gnuchess. I know how to have the computer play itself using xboard. I know how to save, load and analyze games. I know how to use xboard to plar over ICS.

    But, what I need to know is: how do you set up a one-on-one game over a LAN?? You know, I start up KNOPPIX on one PC, my student does the same on another. I set up a game and give him my IP address, he joins the game and we play eachother (no gnuchess, no ICS - just local)

    Can't this be done? I thought I read somewhere that it can be done with xboard. I need to this as my chess club is getting huge and we can't afford tournament sets and clocks for everyone! We've been using www.uschesslive.org, but sometimes it goes down in the middle of a tournament. Also, when new members join, they get a password via email. Well that doesn't work well for us as the students can't access email from school, so they have to wait for the next meeting to play!

    Last year this was tollerable as we had a smaller club and a few sets and uschesslive would let you select your own password right away....

    BTW, if you're interested, check out my chess club's website:
    http://calcpage.tripod.com/bhcc

    Please help!

    TIA,

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    40
    info from the xboard main page .. http://www.tim-mann.org/ics.html

    ++> ftp://ftp.freechess.org/pub/chess/Unix/
    or
    ++> http://chessd.sourceforge.net

    just take time to search a little bitte

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    Thanx for your answer! It seems that xboard is not made for this. The xboard author himself said I would have to set up my own FICS (free internet chess server) and dosn't recommend it!

    Any other software out there that can be used in place of a chess set and clock networked over a LAN?

    TIA,

Similar Threads

  1. GUI for Networking?
    By jpkennedy79 in forum Networking
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-14-2004, 05:08 AM
  2. Networking
    By anthonywandeto in forum Networking
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 08-02-2004, 03:41 PM
  3. xboard networkable?
    By A. Jorge Garcia in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-13-2004, 05:01 PM
  4. Networking
    By Nthline in forum Ideas
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-16-2003, 10:44 PM
  5. xboard
    By A. Jorge Garcia in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-20-2003, 04:21 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray picture

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray

$174.99



SGIN 17.3

SGIN 17.3" Laptop Intel Quad-Core Up to 2.4 GHZ 8GB RAM 256GB SSD HD

$229.99



Dell Inspiron 15 3250 15.6 Touch Screen Laptop Intel core I5, 8GB, 256GB SSD picture

Dell Inspiron 15 3250 15.6 Touch Screen Laptop Intel core I5, 8GB, 256GB SSD

$379.00



acer swift air 14 picture

acer swift air 14

$600.00



Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2  / SR19W   3.30GHz 25MB  8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011 picture

Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2 / SR19W 3.30GHz 25MB 8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011

$30.00



AMD FX 8350 8-CORE 4.00GHz CPU FD8350FRW8KHK SOCKET AM3+ *QTY picture

AMD FX 8350 8-CORE 4.00GHz CPU FD8350FRW8KHK SOCKET AM3+ *QTY

$39.99



AMD Ryzen 7 5700G 8-Core 16-Thread 4.6GHz Max Boost, 3.8 GHz Base picture

AMD Ryzen 7 5700G 8-Core 16-Thread 4.6GHz Max Boost, 3.8 GHz Base

$170.00



AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor picture

AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor

$245.99



Dell T7810 Workstation 8-Core 2.40GHz E5-2630 v3 No RAM GPU HDD OS picture

Dell T7810 Workstation 8-Core 2.40GHz E5-2630 v3 No RAM GPU HDD OS

$259.98



Dell OptiPlex 5070 SFF i7-9700 (8-Core) 3.0GHz 16GB 256 SSD Windows 11 picture

Dell OptiPlex 5070 SFF i7-9700 (8-Core) 3.0GHz 16GB 256 SSD Windows 11

$250.00