Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 16 of 16

Thread: Compaq 1260 & Slack

  1. #11
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    dannyboy, here's your help, particularly a good choice with that healthly "no harm if it doesn't work" additude. And in case you are wondering the above link came from here.

  2. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Philippines, Visayas, Dumaguete City
    Posts
    6
    I'm back and I just finished my ZipSlack problem. So i suggest you use ZipSlack, this is a Slackware variant from slackware.com and it's nice since you can run it from DOS mode, and yes witouth changing the filesystem, fat32 shall remain. I maintained my Windows 98 SE for future uses that I don't know yet, just in case.

    Get all files that you need first before installing ZipSlack.
    Get zipzlack.zip and probably fourmeg.zip(for increasing swap if system ram is 4 MB, it increases to 8MB). Get X11 and other X11 components from ftp://ftp.slackware.com/pub/slackwar...e/slackware/x/ . Read the faq.txt from zipslaxk.ztp for installation instructions. You may be editing your windows config.sys and msdos.sys , but I don't quite understand it anyways.

    After installation of ZipSlack(just plain unzipping to c:\ anyways), I restarted windows to MS-DOS mode and then went to c:\linux then activated loadlin.exe (i don't know why, but if i skipped this part it starts anyways) then typed "linux" in the prompt and voila linux starts! And now it's up to you on the X11 installations...unless you post it i will be happy to share my experience.

    Hi Harry may I say "YaiKz!!!" my WinBook does not do netinstall, it has no modem and CD-ROM nor a floppy drive, tsk!
    But that link I will save it for my other Pentium Desktops, they are in dust right now, I will resurrect them with your link for a tryout.
    Salamat po kaayo! Thank you very much! Encouragement from gurus are best than their detailed instructions.

  3. #13
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy
    Hi Harry may i say "YaiKz!!!" my WinBook does not do netinstall, it has no modem and CD-ROM nor a floppy drive, tsk!
    That's pretty much going to crimp the ability to install most things on it, as well as run Knoppix. At some point you have to consider if the hardware is worth the trouble, and this seems like one of these point. I'm not clear on how you install much of anything to it.

  4. #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Philippines, Visayas, Dumaguete City
    Posts
    6
    I got FastLynx version 2.0 (free download, i googled it)like Laplink using parallel cable. I transfered the needed files from an internet connected PC to the WinBookLM thru FastLynx version 2.0 and it works fine. Just run the software on both systems and voila, trasfer!

  5. #15
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy
    I got FastLynx version 2.0 (free download, i googled it)like Laplink using parallel cable. I transfered the needed files from an internet connected PC to the WinBookLM thru FastLynx version 2.0 and it works fine. Just run the software on both systems and voila, trasfer!
    Yea, I used some technology like that back in the last millenium . But without a floppy, modem, CD drive or, I assume, a network card, just getting the FastLynx software on that WinBook could be an issue. But at least you're getting some use out of the old hardware.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  6. #16
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Philippines, Visayas, Dumaguete City
    Posts
    6
    Good thing FastLynx can upload itself from my Desktop PC to the WinBook thru it's "upload option" thru a serial cable or COM1 port. Try googling FastLynx version 2.0 , there's a website authorized by the authors of FastLynx to give it for free. This is so handy!

    But this WinBook came with FastLynx in it already so I have not experienced uploading that. And I don't have a serial cable. So if all else fails, all devices not detected by linux, you can still transfer large amounts of files thru DOS. Then work your way thru DOS towards a totally Linux everything. I suggest maintain DOS while not yet sure if your troubles are done. I'd say delete Windows but not DOS.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. slack, klix, 3dchess and libXaw3d.so.6
    By Tuttle in forum Klik
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-07-2005, 07:55 PM
  2. Apt-get: Too Many Problems. Should I Go Sid or Slack?
    By Sammy_Jankis in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-29-2004, 11:04 AM
  3. Knoppix on Compaq Evo
    By gabe66 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-05-2003, 01:47 PM
  4. Compaq
    By ivi in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-12-2003, 12:32 PM
  5. more Compaq fun
    By gaje in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-07-2003, 06:19 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray picture

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray

$39.99



Dell Constellation ES.3 3TB Enterprise-class Hard Drive (Wiped & Tested) picture

Dell Constellation ES.3 3TB Enterprise-class Hard Drive (Wiped & Tested)

$39.00



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5

(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HARD DRIVE

$199.99



Seagate ST4000NM0034 Enterprise 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s HDD v4 picture

Seagate ST4000NM0034 Enterprise 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s HDD v4

$39.00



Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5

Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive

$14.99



Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



HGST HUS724040ALA640 HDD 4TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.5K 3.5

HGST HUS724040ALA640 HDD 4TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.5K 3.5" 0F19459 512 b/s

$78.00



DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600

$49.95



Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS picture

Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS

$184.99