Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: No Internet Via RhineII

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    4

    No Internet Via RhineII

    Hi guys I've been going nuts trying to get this to work to no avail maybe I'm missing something. Let me start off by saying that I'm a newbie in linux so bare with me if I miss something. I have an integrated Via RhineII (VT6102) ethernet card on my mobo. I cannot get internet to work booting from CD or HDD, last night my HDD burst into flames so I've been trying to get internet to run from Live-CD with no luck. I am NOT using a router, and my modem is Cable Motorola SBV5120 Surfboard.

    pump -i eth0 shows failed.

    ifconfig -a lists my ethernet card

    lspci -v shows my ethernet card

    lsmod shows mii used 1 via_rhine AND via_rhine used 0

    I have tried acpi=off at boot and tried turning off apic in bios

    netcardconfig fails with dhcp broadcast and if I manually enter values for IP SUBNET and GATEWAY I still cannot connect or ping anything.

    If you need anything else in order to help please ask, I thank you in advance.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    4
    P.S. I just tried the following command line at boot

    boot:knoppix noapic acpi=off noapm pci=bios

    Still no luck with netcardconfig also to give you a bit more detail, lspci -v says that the ethernet card subsystem? (i think it said subsystem) is Unknown device and the IRQ=11 so I don't think its an issue with IRQ as I've read in some other threads. I can't post the exact output of these commands because the box I'm running knoppix on is simply a mobo with a video card and CD-Rom, so nowhere to save the output and no networking to post it from there.

    Maybe I've used one too many cheat codes in the boot command line? Once again any help is appreciated and thanked in advance.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    4
    Well about 20 minutes after my first post I have answered my own question, THANK YOU HARRY KUHMAN ANSWER #4 !!! My stupid cablemodem was refusing to answer dhcp requests from different mac addresses, once I copied the mac address from my windows box and did ifconfig eth0 hw ether (my mac address here) IT WORKED!!! I have been banging my head against the wall for a week trying to figure it out, If I had reset my stupid modem It wouldve have worked right away. Sorry for waisting forum space!

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    4

    I feel so dumb :(

    Ok i have the exact same problem with my eathernet connection. I have a router and i can ping it so the computer is at least seeing the card. I can also ping other computers on the network. I just can't get any internet access.

    I've tried every thing above and still i get nothing. ifconfig sees the card and the ip address but every web broser i try can't seem to find the web. I think the problem is with the ethernet card drive but i don't know what command to use to change it.

    I'm new to this and i've been searching through your forum and others for at least the last 5 hours. I can't find anyone with exactly the same solutioon to the problem that i have.

    Thank you in advance for your help.

  5. #5
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: I feel so dumb :(

    Quote Originally Posted by nycblkboy
    Ok i have the exact same problem with my eathernet connection. I have a router and i can ping it so the computer is at least seeing the card. I can also ping other computers on the network. I just can't get any internet access.
    I doubt very much that you have the exact same problem. Are you using a RhineII interface? You din't make that clear, but if not then your post does not belong in this thread.

    I expect very much that your problem is router related rather than interface related. If your router has a feature to limit access by MAC address, temporarly disable that and try again. Otherwise power down the router and try again. If both of these fail you might need to reset the router. By the way, it's not a Belkin router, is it? (I have seen some DHCP problems with older Belkin routers.) If none of this works post back hardware information and what you get when you run both ifconfig and netcardconfig.

    And I'm assuming that you are running from the Live CD or Live DVD and have not done something foolish and failed to mention that.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    4
    I have a router and a cable modem. And yes i'm using a Via RhineII internal ethernet card.

    I shut down the cable modem and the router for 5 min. I started the canle modem 1st then waited till the lights stoped flashing then started the router. I ran netcardconfig manually and dhcp and still no internet connection. What is weird id that i can share files with a mac i have on my network.

    The following is what i got while running the commands: (let me know if there is anything else i should do)

    knoppix@1[knoppix]$ ifconfig
    eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:11:09:03:FA:A7
    inet addr:192.168.1.3 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
    inet6 addr: fe80::211:9ff:fe03:faa7/64 Scope:Link
    UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    RX packets:595 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:700 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:72882 (71.1 KiB) TX bytes:54292 (53.0 KiB)
    Interrupt:23 Base address:0xd00

    lo Link encap:Local Loopback
    inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
    inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
    UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
    RX packets:78 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:78 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
    RX bytes:5616 (5.4 KiB) TX bytes:5616 (5.4 KiB)

    knoppix@1[knoppix]$ netcardconfig
    Sending DHCP broadcast from device eth0 OK.
    auto lo eth0
    knoppix@1[knoppix]$ lsmod
    Module Size Used by
    md5 7680 1
    ipv6 238016 6
    snd_mixer_oss 18304 0
    snd 46820 1 snd_mixer_oss
    sis_agp 9988 0
    intel_agp 22300 0
    efficeon_agp 10144 0
    amd64_agp 13640 0
    ali_agp 9216 0
    autofs4 19076 1
    af_packet 24328 0
    ntfs 163600 1
    via82cxxx_audio 27656 1
    uart401 13124 1 via82cxxx_audio
    sound 71684 2 via82cxxx_audio,uart401
    soundcore 11104 4 snd,via82cxxx_audio,sound
    ac97_codec 20236 1 via82cxxx_audio
    via_rhine 23172 0
    mii 8320 1 via_rhine
    via_agp 11392 1
    agpgart 31440 6 sis_agp,intel_agp,efficeon_agp,amd64_agp,ali_agp,v ia_agp
    i2c_viapro 10512 0
    i2c_core 20992 1 i2c_viapro
    parport_pc 38724 0
    parport 33480 1 parport_pc
    8250 42844 0
    serial_core 21120 1 8250
    joydev 11712 0
    tsdev 9664 0
    evdev 11008 0
    usbhid 42464 0
    pcmcia 23696 0
    yenta_socket 22152 0
    rsrc_nonstatic 14080 1 yenta_socket
    pcmcia_core 43268 3 pcmcia,yenta_socket,rsrc_nonstatic
    apm 22252 2
    rtc 13900 0
    unionfs 68088 1
    cloop 19232 1
    sbp2 24584 0
    ohci1394 33460 0
    ieee1394 297432 2 sbp2,ohci1394
    usb_storage 68544 0
    ohci_hcd 21764 0
    uhci_hcd 31632 0
    usbcore 102492 5 usbhid,usb_storage,ohci_hcd,uhci_hcd

    Let me know if i'm missing anything

  7. #7
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by nycblkboy
    I have a router and a cable modem. And yes i'm using a Via RhineII internal ethernet card.

    I shut down the cable modem and the router for 5 min. I started the canle modem 1st then waited till the lights stoped flashing then started the router. I ran netcardconfig manually and dhcp and still no internet connection. What is weird id that i can share files with a mac i have on my network.


    knoppix@1[knoppix]$ ifconfig
    eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:11:09:03:FA:A7
    inet addr:192.168.1.3 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0



    knoppix@1[knoppix]$ netcardconfig
    Sending DHCP broadcast from device eth0 OK.
    auto lo eth0

    Let me know if i'm missing anything
    Sure, the network card is clearly working, that was evident from the first post and confirmed here. We can see from what you posted that DHCP is working and you should be configured for the network. So this again gets us back to the router. I don't know how I can be more clear about this: to help you we need to know what equipment you have, in particular what router you have (make and model, maybe even firmware revision). Look through your router configuration and be sure that you don't have any MAC address filtering (NIC hardware address, not related to a MAC computer althugh a MAC computer has a MAC address too) in place or any other security measure in place that might be blocking this connection. This may sound strange, but just because this computer may have worked with Windows do not assume that filters like MAC address filtering can be ignored!

    I'm assuming that your MAC is being assigned 192.168.1.2, but it would be nice if you could confirm this and also give us any local IP addresses of any other system that might be on your network.

    And you didn't mention actually trying to reset the router (not just a power down, there is usually a recessed buttton to do a full reset, see your router manual for exact details on the steps to take, they sometimes involve keeping the button pressed during a power up).

  8. #8
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    By the way, what version of Knoppix are you talking about and please state flat out that you are running from the optical disc.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    4
    I'm running knopix version 4.02 from the cd. I downloade it today.

    I also reset the modem through its control panel on on the router itself. Its a comp usa 4 port router. Specs on router:
    System
    INFORMATION
    Runtime Code Version 1.02.9 (Jul 21 2004)
    LAN MAC Address 00-08-a1-79-04-e6
    WAN MAC Address 00-0a-95-e3-87-92
    Hardware Version Board Name
    Serial Number NAT-2003-4171

    there are no settings for blocking tcp/ip ports by mac address.

    yes i confirmed the mac is 192.168,1.2. There are no other devices/computers on the network.

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    4
    humm it must me a dns issue i can ping 217.149.196.6. so how do i resolve the dns issue?

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-10-2006, 03:11 AM
  2. No internet
    By genu in forum Laptops
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-25-2005, 02:13 PM
  3. Internet Help
    By jtrain9 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-09-2005, 05:12 AM
  4. No internet!!!
    By linux03 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-14-2003, 10:31 PM
  5. Internet
    By MetalliMyers in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-28-2003, 03:24 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit picture

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit

$19.99



Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP,  (6 CDS) picture

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)

$10.00



Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive picture

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive

$5.99



KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED picture

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED

$11.99



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick

$20.85



VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION) picture

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)

$7.57



Knoppix NSM 1.2 picture

Knoppix NSM 1.2

$8.00



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick

$21.42



Hamshack Live DVD-ROM picture

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM

$7.00



Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006 picture

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006

$33.72