-
Confused! Multi-Booting Windows XP+Linux+98
Okay, I'm a total newb. Sorry this is so long! This has got me stumped and my question probably doesn't belong in a knoppix forum but I'll try anyways.
Here WAS my setup:
1 -40GB Hard Drive- Primary Master
I had a windows XP1 partition on 10gigs with 30gig storage on a second partition.
2 -40GB Hard Drive- Primary Slave
40GB partition for another Windows XP2 installation.
3 -40GB Hard Drive- Secondary Master
Blank 40GB Formatted Fat32
4 -DVD-RW Drive- Primary Slave
Now I wanted to install Knoppix and had never done it before after a little reading I downloaded the Grub bootloader and used it. I took out the "Primary master" and "Primary slave" hard drives and moved the "Secondary master" hard drive to "Primary Master" and installed knoppix oin an 8GB ext3 partition with a 500mb swap partition following. IT WORKED AND I LOVE IT! So I moved all my hard drives around so Linux would be on Primary Master and my main Xp installation would be Primary Slave. I set it in my BIOS for the "Primary slave" to boot and set up grub. Now I have Knoppix, Windows XP 1, and Windows XP2 loading. Now My setup Looked like this:
1 -40GB Hard Drive- Primary Master
8GB Knoppix Partitioned ext3 with a 1000mb swap partition. The other 31GB unallocated.
2 -40GB Hard Drive- Primary Slave
Windows XP1 partition on 10gigs with 30gig storage on a second partition.
3 -40GB Hard Drive- Secondary Master
40GB partition for Windows XP2 installation.
4 -DVD-RW Drive- Primary Slave
Using Grub I got everything to Boot ok and was happy. LOVE LINUX! Now I decided to move Linux up 3GB with Partition Magic and Install Windows 98 on that 3GB partition(I know it's outdated but it's still fun to mess with!). That worked and got it installed. But I can't figure out how to boot windows 98 with the NTLR or Grub bootloader. BIOS is still loading the Windows XP1 boot file and I can boot Knoppix and both Windows XP's. Final Setup:
1 -40GB Hard Drive- Primary Master
3GB Windows98 and 8GB Knoppix Partitioned ext3 with a 1000mb swap partition. The other 28GB unallocated.
2 -40GB Hard Drive- Primary Slave
Windows XP1 partition on 10gigs with 30gig storage on a second partition.
3 -40GB Hard Drive- Secondary Master
40GB partition for Windows XP2 installation.
4 -DVD-RW Drive- Primary Slave
Any suggestions on how to boot windows 98? THANXS a million!
-jayson
-
Senior Member
registered user
File System on Primary Master?
<<3GB Windows98 and 8GB Knoppix Partitioned ext3 with a 1000mb swap partition. The other 28GB unallocated. >>
It's not clear from your description if the file system on the primary master is Win32.
If it is, just use the Sys command from Win98 to it. This will trash the XP MBR.
Not to worry.
You will have to then repair the MBR with the XP install disk by booting into the command console. It should also automagically insert an entry for DOS into the Boot.ini file. If it doesn't you can insert an entry into it manually.
If your primary master is NTFS, you can't do what I just said.
(The preferred way to do this is to install Win98 first. Then XP.)
sakiZ
Similar Threads
-
By karxix in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 5
Last Post: 06-30-2008, 01:54 AM
-
By eyeaspire in forum Laptops
Replies: 4
Last Post: 11-11-2005, 06:51 PM
-
By pallendo in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 3
Last Post: 12-15-2004, 08:52 PM
-
By Mustang64 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 11-17-2004, 04:52 AM
-
By newmiyamoto in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 5
Last Post: 11-02-2004, 11:09 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$115.00

BOSGAME E4 Air Mini PC, AMD Ryzen 5 3500U 8GB DDR4 256GB SATA SSD
$169.99

VA Linux 1120 1U Rackmount Server
$100.00

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026
$12.99

DELL Pro Max with GB10 (FCM1253) - NVIDIA GB10 Grace - 128 GB LPDDR5X - 4TB M.2
$5999.00

Dell SonicWall TZ400 Network Security Appliance Firewall New
$295.00

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC
$175.00

Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU
$649.00

SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA
$284.99

Hitachi 14TB SATA 6Gb/s, 3.5”, 7200 RPM, Linux Only Hard Drive. 100% HEALTH.
$197.00