-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: problem building/booting w/custom kernel

Originally Posted by
Wisler
I went through several HowTos and read many posts/responses and was eventually successful in creating a custom
Knoppix with a custom kernel. Now I'm trying to reproduce this success and get the "CANNOT UNITE" error. I think this
indicates unionfs and kernel incompatibility but I don't know how to fix it. Perhaps the problem is that I'm building unionfs
outside the chroot environment, but I thought I did this the first time. Also, I'm not sure whether I need cloop.o or just
cloop.ko will be sufficient.
New modules in 2.6 kernel are with .ko ending. I think that in Knoppix 4.0,2 modules were renamed to .o which is not the way to do things. Just copy unionfs.ko and cloop.ko files (no need to change even permissions) to /modules inside your minirt.gz. Then make sure linuxrc had cloop.ko and not cloop.o in line 431 (at least in my linuxrc):
Code:
$INSMOD -f /modules/cloop.ko file="$1/$KNOPPIX_DIR/$KNOPPIX_NAME"
The same with unionfs:
Code:
$INSMOD /modules/unionfs.ko 2>/dev/null && UNIONFS="yes"
Be sure you really have copied unionfs.ko and cloop.ko of the right kernel version and copied them in minirt.gz /modules directory. There seems to be some modification in Knoppix 5.0 but I'm not having it, so I can't say anything more. But I think in new Knoppix those modules are in new /cdrom/boot/modules directory.
If you can't get your unionfs to work, perhaps you would like to use some of my kernel versions (.deb packages) from http://tapsa.terae.net/linux/knoppix/suomiknoppix/
That new 2.6.16-beyond1 has unionfs module compiled with the kernel - so you need only linux-image and cloop-modules package. Other .deb packages are extra modules and you can use them if you need them.
-tapsa-
Similar Threads
-
By calacode in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 07-29-2005, 02:27 PM
-
By fabioxa in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 07-05-2004, 08:16 PM
-
By andrewtayloruk in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 9
Last Post: 01-29-2004, 07:05 PM
-
By garyng in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 04-21-2003, 09:54 PM
-
By garyng in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-11-2003, 03:27 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

WiFi Only Samsung Galaxy A9 Plus 11.0" 64GB Navy SM-X210
$124.99

Samsung 870 EVO 1TB, 2.5 inch Internal SSD
$135.00

SAMSUNG XE310XBA Chromebook 4 11.6" Intel N4020 4GB 32GB CLEAN UP TO DATE X3 LOT
$89.00

Samsung Galaxy Tab S10 Lite 10.9" 128GB Silver Wi-Fi SM-X400NZSAXAR
$206.00

Samsung MLT-R116 Imaging Unit Xpress M2625 M2675 M2825 M2875 M2885 M3015 OEM NEW
$44.99

Samsung SCXSTP000, SCX-STP000 (Swingline Staple Cartridge - 3 Refills)
$57.99

Samsung 860 PRO 2TB 2.5" SATA III V- NAND SSD MZ-76P2T0 86%-90% Health
$187.00

Magnetic Leather Flip Case with Stand for Samsung Tab S9 S9+ S10+ S10 Ultra
$20.99

Samsung T9 1TB, External (MU-PG1T0B/AM) Solid Slate Drive
$188.99

Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 3/ 64 gig/WIFI
$85.00