Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Configure LILO

  1. #1

    Configure LILO

    Hello,

    I'm on doing a Knoppix remastering and I want to include some of boot time options (noeject, noprompt) permanently. I changed the lilo.conf and added these options to the 'append' line.

    Now when I'm running lilo, but since I'm in the chroot environment I get this error message.

    root@not a tty[/]# lilo
    /proc/devices: fopen failed: No such file or directory
    Is device-mapper driver missing from kernel?
    Warning: '/proc/partitions' does not exist, disk scan bypassed
    Warning: The boot sector and map file are on different disks.
    Fatal: APPEND or LITERAL may not contain "vga="
    Now my question: How can I create a new lilo boot configuration, when remastering?

    Thanks for comments and suggestions!

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    272

    Re: Configure LILO

    Quote Originally Posted by hellospencer1
    Now my question: How can I create a new lilo boot configuration, when remastering?
    Just edit /boot/isolinux/isolinux.cfg file. This is the lilo file in live-CD! Those options in APPEND line are used also after hard disk installation.

    You can't and you don't need to run 'lilo' in chroot environment.

    -tapsa-

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    140
    When you edit the isolinux.cfg you must add or remove the ### at the end to kep the file size the same. If you change the size of the isolinux.cfg file your remaster will not boot. And removing 1 charactor does not always mean that you can make the file the same size by adding 1#. you might have to add 4# or 6# or remove 8#. I don't know why.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    272
    Quote Originally Posted by nvgringo
    When you edit the isolinux.cfg you must add or remove the ### at the end to kep the file size the same. If you change the size of the isolinux.cfg file your remaster will not boot. And removing 1 charactor does not always mean that you can make the file the same size by adding 1#. you might have to add 4# or 6# or remove 8#. I don't know why.
    I don't agree. I have added totally new entries and some my own comments to isolinux.cfg and everything works as intended.


    -tapsa-

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    140
    I didn't say that you can not edit the isolinux.cfg file. You can. I only said that the file after the edit has to be the same size as the original. That has been my experience. If I don't have the right size file I get a checksum error and a lovely silver coaster.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    272
    Quote Originally Posted by nvgringo
    I didn't say that you can not edit the isolinux.cfg file. You can. I only said that the file after the edit has to be the same size as the original. That has been my experience. If I don't have the right size file I get a checksum error and a lovely silver coaster.
    Strange. I have edited my isolinux.cfg file many times and had different size of the file. But I have wondered why there is at the end of the file many ######.

    The size of my file at this time is 2560 bytes. I have also remastered Musix CD and the size of that same file is 3807 bytes. Isolinux.cfg in Debian Sarge's DVD seems to be 834 bytes. And of course, everything works. And there's no ### in original Sarge's DVD. Hope that someone could tell me why the size had to be same sometimes in previous days. Nowadays it seems not to matter.


    -tapsa-

  7. #7
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    The size of the file is free to vary if you are doing a true ramastering. For those trying to just hack the file and replace it inside the existing iso with a different file then the file size must match in byte count.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  8. #8
    Thanks for your help. I was finally able to solve the problem.

    I tested your suggestions with following line in isolinux.cfg ..

    Code:
    APPEND noeject noprompt #####..
    .. and it worked.

    I'm doing a "true remastering" like Harry called it (recomputing the whole image on a harddisk), so I didn't run into any problems with the file size.

Similar Threads

  1. How to configure Lilo to boot Knoppix?
    By smolk in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-20-2006, 09:48 AM
  2. Will not configure NIC at all.
    By technogeek in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-10-2005, 09:11 PM
  3. Reinstall lilo to hda, using hda lilo.conf and knoppix live
    By tomjermy in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-17-2005, 01:07 AM
  4. Lilo: Configure to allow running of PMI?
    By Islander in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-31-2004, 08:02 PM
  5. configure lilo after knoppix 3.4 hd install
    By dakota201 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-10-2004, 04:23 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Seagate ST6000NM0115 6TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5

Seagate ST6000NM0115 6TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive

$159.99



HUS726060ALA640 HGST Ultrastar  6TB SATA 6Gbps 7.2K 3.5

HUS726060ALA640 HGST Ultrastar 6TB SATA 6Gbps 7.2K 3.5" Hard Drive OF21860

$129.99



Western Digital 2TB WD2003FYYS-02W0B0 3.5

Western Digital 2TB WD2003FYYS-02W0B0 3.5" SATA 7200RPM Hard Drive

$44.99



Seagate 14TB Exos X14 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 256MB 3.5

Seagate 14TB Exos X14 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 256MB 3.5" Enterprise HDD ST14000NM0408

$354.99



Hitachi  / HGST Travelstar HTS541010B7E610 1TB 2.5

Hitachi / HGST Travelstar HTS541010B7E610 1TB 2.5" SATA III HDD

$29.99



HITACHI ULTRASTAR 2TB 7.2K 6G 3.5INCH SATA HDD HUS724020ALA640 | TESTED WIPED picture

HITACHI ULTRASTAR 2TB 7.2K 6G 3.5INCH SATA HDD HUS724020ALA640 | TESTED WIPED

$34.95



Seagate Enterprise ST6000NM0034 6TB 7.2K RPM SAS-12Gb/s 128MB 3.5

Seagate Enterprise ST6000NM0034 6TB 7.2K RPM SAS-12Gb/s 128MB 3.5"HDD (not SATA)

$69.99



HGST Ultrastar 2TB 3.5

HGST Ultrastar 2TB 3.5" Enterprise SATA 7200RPM Internal HDD HUS724020ALA640

$54.99



Seagate BarraCuda ST5000LM000 5TB 5400RPM SATA III 6Gb/s 2.5

Seagate BarraCuda ST5000LM000 5TB 5400RPM SATA III 6Gb/s 2.5" Internal Hard

$169.99



Sun Oracle 7357761 14TB 7.2K 3.5 12G SAS-3 HDD Hard Disc Drive w/ Coral Bracket picture

Sun Oracle 7357761 14TB 7.2K 3.5 12G SAS-3 HDD Hard Disc Drive w/ Coral Bracket

$249.99