Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Korn Shell

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1

    Korn Shell

    Hi everyone,

    Very easy question for anyone that knows what's going on, but I'm getting frustrated at wandering around trying to find the info, so I'm hoping someone will just be able to tell me ... The Knoppix boot DVD is awesome, but I'm forced to use the BASH shell if I want to practise any scripting, and I'd like to be able to use the Korn shell.

    Does anyone know if I can get a boot dvd with the Korn shell on it? Maybe I have an out of date one and the Korn shell is actually included in the current version, but I'm not sure how to find out and don't want to make such a hefty download if I'll end up being disappointed.

    Cheers for any help.

    Ed.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    122
    I don't believe the korn shell is on knoppix I could be mistaken as I am on a windows machine right now and can't do a search for the korn shell executable under /bin but this article may explain why knoppix live dvd might not contain the korn shell.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    159
    The latest knoppix should allow installation of software thanks to unionfs, so try "apt-get pdksh". I have not actually tried it, so sorry if it does not work as expected. The package is small so you could keep it around if you do not have easy net access while working from knoppix.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    159
    Hello again, I have just tried (with the v5 dvd) what I was suggesting two days ago, and it worked fine.
    Code:
    apt-get update
    apt-get install pdksh
    curiously this is rather slow for such a small (250kb) package, but it works!

    If you do not have the net available while working with knoppix, save the deb package available here (to floppy, shared fat partition or flash memory ..), then use
    Code:
    dpkg -i pdksh_5.2.14-20_i386.deb

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Sydney/Australia
    Posts
    311
    Howdy,

    You could access it if the above was otherwise not available by adding it to you on disk knoppix_home.

    The dload isn't that heavy, the install size only seems to be 436 ki with a dependency on libc6 and binutils.


    Unpack the package manually and just put it in /home/<usr_name>/bin

    That is ... add it to your on hdd "knoppix home" environment.

    cheat-code (iirc) ...

    myconf=/dev/hda7/knoppix-home

    Containing files ...
    configs.tbz
    knoppix.sh

    That path is specific to my situation of course and incidently is out of date. But, as long as you have ~/bin on your default path it should work.

    On my box (sarge 3.1) i have the following ...

    Code:
    /bin/ksh --> /etc/alternatives/ksh
    /etc/alternatives/ksh -->/bin/pdksh
    
    /bin/pdksh is in the pdksh package,
    "Description: A public domain version of the Korn shell"
    
    The only linker requirements it appears to have are ...
    
    libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 and
    /lib/ld-linux.so.2 => /lib/ld-linux.so.2
    Hope i didn't manage to obscure that to much and you also wouldn't need to try and effect the /etc/alternatives bit really. So it should be able to just sit in ~/bin

    The package should at least be on http://ftp.debian.org

    If your not sure on how to creat the on hdd "knoppix_home" it will be documented on your knoppix disc. I'll have to go and refresh myself on that rather than give a possibly incorrect answer . It is a very handy customisation facility for Livecd boots


    jm
    Humpty Dumpty Was Pushed !

Similar Threads

  1. kxconfig - in the shell -
    By czarg in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-07-2007, 04:12 PM
  2. No Shell?
    By tcohoon in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-16-2006, 04:14 PM
  3. Root shell
    By knoppix00 in forum General Support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-20-2006, 12:39 AM
  4. Root Shell
    By jeremiah in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-28-2006, 06:04 AM
  5. Does Knoppix 3.3 have the Korn Shell
    By HoofClicker in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-22-2003, 01:41 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Digital VR241-A color CRT monitor, powers on, DEC Rainbow or terminal picture

Vintage Digital VR241-A color CRT monitor, powers on, DEC Rainbow or terminal

$150.00



Vintage DEC Digital T1043 DWMBB/B VAXBI XMI Adapter 5018232-01 C1 VAX Board picture

Vintage DEC Digital T1043 DWMBB/B VAXBI XMI Adapter 5018232-01 C1 VAX Board

$119.99



Vintage DEC Digital XMI-A1 5017293-01A1 LWPR BE3-0 VAX Circuit Board T2012 picture

Vintage DEC Digital XMI-A1 5017293-01A1 LWPR BE3-0 VAX Circuit Board T2012

$74.99



Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7) picture

Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7)

$279.99



Vintage DEC VT100 Series Terminal (Powers On) picture

Vintage DEC VT100 Series Terminal (Powers On)

$499.99



Vintage DEC E2052-AA  AlphaServer I/O Board 9 Gold Ceramic ICs 4.3 LB Gold Scrap picture

Vintage DEC E2052-AA AlphaServer I/O Board 9 Gold Ceramic ICs 4.3 LB Gold Scrap

$749.99



Vintage DEC Digital Equipment Flip-Chip Module Lot Parts picture

Vintage DEC Digital Equipment Flip-Chip Module Lot Parts

$59.99



Vintage DEC LK201 Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) LK201-AA Computer Keyboard picture

Vintage DEC LK201 Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) LK201-AA Computer Keyboard

$149.99



Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW picture

Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW

$269.99



Vintage DEC Digital VSXXX-AA.B03 Hawley 3-Button Mouse 1986 Tested Working picture

Vintage DEC Digital VSXXX-AA.B03 Hawley 3-Button Mouse 1986 Tested Working

$111.00