Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Refresh rate on Knoppix 4.0 and nVidia 6200 [SOLVED]

  1. #1

    Refresh rate on Knoppix 4.0 and nVidia 6200 [SOLVED]

    OK, I'm a little new at all this, so please be gentle with me...

    I just installed Knoppix and I'm very happy with it. I got the nVidia drivers from their site and installed them with no probs... except for one.

    When I try to run at 1024x768, i get bad screen flicker. The screen is fine at 800x600, the only difference I can see is the refresh rate. At 1024, the rate is 70Hz, at 800 it's 75Hz. My monitor runs at 75Hz, which auto-changes according to the graphics card, so I'm gonna guess that Knoppix won't allow 1024 @ 75Hz. I know my monitor supports this combo (Hansol H551VI) and so does my graphics card, both formerly chained by the ankle to Win XP, I ran this combo on XP for a long time with no problems.

    Only Knoppix is trying to run @ 70Hz, everything else is trying to run at 75Hz.

    Is there a way of forcing Knoppix to recognize 1024 @ 75Hz and selecting it from the Display Configuration? I know there's a way of changing the XFree86 config file, but I'm not too happy about playing with something I've never done before. I'm willing to give the config file a go, but I need some serious help on that one.

    Hope someone can help....

    Please.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    4

    /etc/X11/xorg.conf

    there should be a setting in your xorg conf where you specify what resoloution you want per color depth.
    so where u see "1024x768"
    edit it to read
    "1024x768@75"
    i think that should work, sorry this isnt exact but im in windows right now and cant access my config.

  3. #3

    Re: Refresh rate

    Hi. Thanks for replying. I haven't got the xorg.conf file! I'm on XFree86 config files.

  4. #4

    Here's what I did....

    OK. I got it solved! All I need to do was to go to /usr/bin/X11R6/xf86config and run it. I entered all the relevant details - mouse type, keyboard type, monitor type, graphics card type, etc. INCLUDING the horizontal and vertical refresh rates. This seems to have reset all the settings made automatically done by X and the screen now runs fine @ 1024x768. I've got full graphics ability and OpenGL is smooth.

    I know I'm new to this, but I found that particaular program easy to configure and it did the job easily. No need to reset X either!

    S D

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix refresh rate
    By Vishwas.Bhat in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-28-2006, 06:02 PM
  2. refresh rate
    By pkg in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-05-2006, 05:56 PM
  3. Refresh Rate
    By rehorne in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-13-2004, 09:41 AM
  4. refresh rate
    By jeanthibca in forum Laptops
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-23-2004, 02:33 PM
  5. Refresh rate
    By pnti in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-18-2003, 07:36 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SK Hynix 1TB PC801 M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen4x4 2280 SSD picture

SK Hynix 1TB PC801 M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen4x4 2280 SSD

$100.00



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$60.00



External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac picture

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac

$19.99



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$545.25



1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive picture

1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive

$86.95



SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM picture

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM

$159.99



Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$99.99



Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb

$1746.47



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$330.73



External Solid State Drive USB 3.2 Gen2, 1TB SSD External Hard Drive with C to A picture

External Solid State Drive USB 3.2 Gen2, 1TB SSD External Hard Drive with C to A

$100.00