Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Installing apps/drivers - questions there about.

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Hampton Roads, VA USA
    Posts
    81

    Installing apps/drivers - questions there about.

    Okay, I've been trolling/lurking these forums for a while now and haven't as of yet grasped something basic. I blame windoze and all its installers/wizards for this mostly. How, in the linux world, does one install applications or updated drivers? I don't need it down to the nitty gritty, just a macroscopic view'd be nice. Is it just a matter of unpacking a tarball, moving some files, and updating some configuration files? Has it been that bleedingly obvious? It's sad it's taken me this long to ask but I've not seen anything quite like it asked in the past.

    'Goon

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    205

    Re: Installing apps/drivers - questions there about.

    Quote Originally Posted by RandomGoon
    Okay, I've been trolling/lurking these forums for a while now and haven't as of yet grasped something basic. I blame windoze and all its installers/wizards for this mostly. How, in the linux world, does one install applications or updated drivers? I don't need it down to the nitty gritty, just a macroscopic view'd be nice. Is it just a matter of unpacking a tarball, moving some files, and updating some configuration files? Has it been that bleedingly obvious? It's sad it's taken me this long to ask but I've not seen anything quite like it asked in the past.

    'Goon
    There are many different ways to install applications, depending on what "package management system" is used.
    This topic is really big, and it might be better if I don't try to explain it too much.
    Instead I'll give here two examples which works for me with Knoppix 4.0.2 CD.

    Example 1. Installing "filelight" using the Debian-way.
    1. Download filelight_0.6.4.1-1_i386.deb from http://packages.debian.org/stable/kde/filelight (click the "i386" link)
    2. Open Konqueror, go to the directory where you saved that file, and press F4 to open Konsole at that directory.
    3. Install the program with "sudo dpkg -i filelight_0.6.4.1-1_i386.deb" in the Konsole.
    4. You can now start Filelight from KMenu->Utilities->Filelight

    You can install many simple programs using this way. You can use http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages to search for packages.

    Example 2. Installing "unrar-nonfree" using the Debian-way.
    Problem: By default Knoppix 4.0.2 CD can't extract RAR-archives.
    1a. Go to http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages and write "unrar" to first search-box and press Enter.
    1b. You should get a single link "stable" which goes to http://packages.debian.org/stable/utils/unrar
    1c. Download unrar_3.5.2-0.1_i386.deb from that page. (click the "i386" link)
    2. Open Konqueror, go to the directory where you saved that file, and press F4 to open Konsole at that directory.
    3. Install the program with "sudo dpkg -i unrar_3.5.2-0.1_i386.deb" in the Konsole.
    4. You can now right-click on any RAR-archive and select Extract to extract the archive.

    This simple method only works for quite simple programs. With larger programs, you can get an error which says that you need to install some other package(s) first, or that some package in Knoppix conflicts with the package you are trying to install. What to do in these cases, is not allways so simple...

    If you want to learn more about these Debian-packages, you can go to http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/re...erence.en.html and read section 2.2 (at least).

    ps. Installing drivers might be a lot more difficult. I havn't tried that myself.

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Hampton Roads, VA USA
    Posts
    81

    I think I get it...

    So if what I see is correct, dpkg and apt-get are the equivalent to the Windows world of *.exe for automagic installers at least insofar as applications are concerned. Okay, I'm starting to get this stuff...

    Tks for the clarification

    'Goon

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    205

    Re: I think I get it...

    Quote Originally Posted by RandomGoon
    So if what I see is correct, dpkg and apt-get are the equivalent to the Windows world of *.exe for automagic installers at least insofar as applications are concerned. Okay, I'm starting to get this stuff...

    Tks for the clarification
    That's true only for Linuxes which use "Debian package management system" (like Knoppix).
    e.g. RedHat-linux uses different "package management system" and different programs to install applications.
    (But if you only use Knoppix, you don't need to know all the alternatives...)

Similar Threads

  1. installing apps + addons to external drives
    By Albretch in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-14-2006, 03:25 AM
  2. Installing Ati drivers (please help)
    By great_lengths in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-16-2005, 12:50 PM
  3. Installing drivers
    By Visceral in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-19-2004, 05:48 PM
  4. Installing apps
    By shandar in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-20-2003, 12:45 AM
  5. Installing Apps on virual space
    By mattsbr in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-21-2003, 11:58 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1625.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed picture

Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed

$49.99



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$245.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p

$499.88



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$308.00



Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD

$149.99



Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2224 3.50GHz 8GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W picture

Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2224 3.50GHz 8GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W

$254.97