Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: How to get my wlan work

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    5

    How to get my wlan work

    I have just installed my computer with knoppix 4.0.2 and now when i trying to set my WLan card it dont find the accesspoint, what shuold i do to fix it? [/b]

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    4

    Re: How to get my wlan work

    Hi Digimon

    A command is set in "command" and hit enter
    1. Start a console and type "su -" then you get access to root
    2. In console as root type "iwconfig" then you get a listing of the cards.
    2.B If you don't see the card type "lspci" and see if you can find the card in that listing.
    3. If card found with iwconfig, then do the settings. Setting essid type "iwconfig eth0 essid "network name" " if you don't have a network name skip it.
    4. Then I put in the channel I'm sending via, type "iwconfig eth0 channel (your channel number)"
    5. If you use encryption it's time to set it now type "iwconfig eth0 enc xxxxxxxxxx" replace the x's with the encryption key
    6. Now settings are done and you need to restart network type "network-setup" and go the wizzard choose wlancard and make it accept DHCP


    Nine1one4u

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    122

    Re: How to get my wlan work

    Quote Originally Posted by nine1one4u
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Digimon
    I have just installed my computer with knoppix 4.0.2 and now when i trying to set my WLan card it dont find the accesspoint, what shuold i do to fix it? [/b]
    Hi Digimon

    I'v just tested out two different pcmcia cards with knoppix 4.0 and just had to configure the wifi settings. I started a consol and changed to root ( su -) no password. Then I typed iwconfig and found lo, eth0 and eth1 so I tryed iwlist eth0/eth1 scan but the cards didt support it. Then I tryed to configure the cards with iwconfig eth0 essid "the network name" and it did't complain so then i set iwconfig eth0 channel 3 and then iwconfig eth0 enc xxxxxxxxxx where the x are my encryption key. The next thing I did was network-setup chosed wlancard to accept dhcp. Viola I'm on the net.

    Nine1one4u
    ok, I'm confused nine1one4u, I only see you noting ethernet cards here, could you please elaborate on how you got the wlan card to accept dhcp? thx

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    4

    Re: How to get my wlan work

    ok, I'm confused nine1one4u, I only see you noting ethernet cards here, could you please elaborate on how you got the wlan card to accept dhcp? thx
    Hi Digimon

    A command is set in "command" and hit enter
    1. Start a console and type "su -" then you get access to root
    2. In console as root type "iwconfig" then you get a listing of the cards.
    2.B If you don't see the card type "lspci" and see if you can find the card in that listing.
    3. If card found with iwconfig, then do the settings. Setting essid type "iwconfig eth0 essid "network name" " if you don't have a network name skip it.
    4. Then I put in the channel I'm sending via, type "iwconfig eth0 channel (your channel number)"
    5. If you use encryption it's time to set it now type "iwconfig eth0 enc xxxxxxxxxx" replace the x's with the encryption key
    6. Now settings are done and you need to restart network type "network-setup" and go the wizzard choose wlancard and make it accept DHCP


    Nine1one4u[/quote]

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    5

    thx

    thx for the tips i shall test it when i get my pc work (it stands still when i try to log in, "Initializing system services" it says and tilts)

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Sunnyvale
    Posts
    7

    I do like this

    I use Kwifi to see if knoppix identifies the card. Knoppix starts the wireless card looking for any open network so it always picks the neighbor instead of my wireless. So I change the settings with 3 commands.

    My network is uses WEP 64. Key = ascii string "dweeb" ESSID = "home"

    iwconfig -eth0 essid home
    iwconfig -eth0 key s:dweeb
    pump -i eth0

    The pump command initiates a DHCP request for IP address.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-03-2009, 06:11 PM
  2. Mozilla profiles work for Windows and won't work for Musix
    By ml2 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-23-2007, 08:36 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-04-2006, 06:46 PM
  4. Help with WLAN & DMA??
    By mostafa_dahir in forum Laptops
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-11-2006, 06:38 PM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-30-2005, 03:11 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage IDE Removable Hard Drive Mobile Rack 5.25 Bay 50-Pin Tray + Maxtor 40GB picture

Vintage IDE Removable Hard Drive Mobile Rack 5.25 Bay 50-Pin Tray + Maxtor 40GB

$49.99



Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New picture

Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New

$75.00



Vintage Computer - PC Innovation Intel 486DX2 - Dos Ver 6.2 Windows 3.1 picture

Vintage Computer - PC Innovation Intel 486DX2 - Dos Ver 6.2 Windows 3.1

$250.00



🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2112A 21MX M-SERIES 16-BIT MINICOMPUTER HP picture

🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2112A 21MX M-SERIES 16-BIT MINICOMPUTER HP

$299.99



Vintage Toshiba T3400CT Mini Laptop 486SX-33, 4MB **NO POST, Bad Screen, AS-IS picture

Vintage Toshiba T3400CT Mini Laptop 486SX-33, 4MB **NO POST, Bad Screen, AS-IS

$75.00



Vintage Apple Keyboard II Model M0487 & G5431 Mouse UNTESTED AS-IS picture

Vintage Apple Keyboard II Model M0487 & G5431 Mouse UNTESTED AS-IS

$59.99



Vintage Dysan 100 MD2HD 5.25” Floppy Disks 10 Pack Sealed Double Sided HD | IBM picture

Vintage Dysan 100 MD2HD 5.25” Floppy Disks 10 Pack Sealed Double Sided HD | IBM

$38.00



Vintage Toshiba Satellite Pro 490CDT Laptop PII 233MHz 96MB 4GB Win98 Bad Backli picture

Vintage Toshiba Satellite Pro 490CDT Laptop PII 233MHz 96MB 4GB Win98 Bad Backli

$100.00



Vintage Microsoft Visual Studio.NET Professional Software suite Version 2002 New picture

Vintage Microsoft Visual Studio.NET Professional Software suite Version 2002 New

$82.00



Vintage Hewlett Packard HP 13181-60074 Circuit Card Assembly / Interface Board. picture

Vintage Hewlett Packard HP 13181-60074 Circuit Card Assembly / Interface Board.

$135.37