Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: I think knoppix is my machine independent OS, can I do this?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1

    I think knoppix is my machine independent OS, can I do this?

    Hello,
    I found out about knoppix this morning. What I'm looking for is an OS that can be booted from a CD
    and allows for saving files and configuration files/profiles for various programs, i.e. Open Office, Opera, Firefox,
    Thunderbird and some as yet unfound newsreader that works on both linux and windows, on a
    usb key drive. My desire is to have a transportable OS and R/W storage setup that will work on
    a couple different windows based machines so when I visit away from my machine I can still enjoy
    my basic setup. Assuming that the away machines have no issues with booting knoppix, the unknown
    at the moment is will knoppix programs, i.e. firefox, work with a profile on a keydrive? I've done
    some searches and read the faq. I'm interested in workability of specific programs,
    Open Office
    Firefox
    Thunderbird
    Opera
    using an usb key drive to store data/profiles/documents/etc and migrating between machines that otherwise
    have no issues with knoppix. Thanks,

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    yes, saveconf and permanent home will let you do these things.
    First make the permanent home on the USB key, save the configs reboot and make the changes you want in your userprofile (the saved configs are for systemwide things).
    if you do not reboot the changes wil not be saved to your new /home/knoppix, OK, you could "force" things but a reboot is the easy way.

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix on a virtual machine
    By tre in forum Laptops
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-25-2008, 07:10 PM
  2. I can't connect (by ssh) to my Knoppix 4.0 machine
    By ugo in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-02-2005, 04:02 PM
  3. Knoppix 3.7 on hde,not running as hda on another machine
    By honigbaer in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-22-2005, 06:48 PM
  4. Mozilla, Knoppix or My Machine
    By beforewisdom in forum General Support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-15-2004, 12:43 AM
  5. Screen resolution problem is independent of window managers
    By Dan Connell in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-04-2003, 12:22 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT picture

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT

$7.99



NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping* picture

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*

$24.00



Cisco Meraki MA-SFP-1GB-SX Network Tranceiver Module picture

Cisco Meraki MA-SFP-1GB-SX Network Tranceiver Module

$89.00



Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter picture

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter

$27.50



Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



Dell Mellanox ConnectX-4 Lx CX4121C Dual 25GbE SFP28 LP | 20NJD picture

Dell Mellanox ConnectX-4 Lx CX4121C Dual 25GbE SFP28 LP | 20NJD

$25.00



HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port  PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+ picture

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+

$16.99



New Open Box Lot of (5) Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR-S 10Gig Transceivers 10-3105-01 picture

New Open Box Lot of (5) Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR-S 10Gig Transceivers 10-3105-01

$84.99



HP 557SFP+ ETHERNET 10GB 2 PORT 792834-001 788991-001 HIGH    LOT OF 10 picture

HP 557SFP+ ETHERNET 10GB 2 PORT 792834-001 788991-001 HIGH LOT OF 10

$70.00



HPE 560SFP 2x 10Gb SFP+ PCIe Both Profile Network Card 669279-001 665247-001 picture

HPE 560SFP 2x 10Gb SFP+ PCIe Both Profile Network Card 669279-001 665247-001

$14.90