Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: I think knoppix is my machine independent OS, can I do this?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1

    I think knoppix is my machine independent OS, can I do this?

    Hello,
    I found out about knoppix this morning. What I'm looking for is an OS that can be booted from a CD
    and allows for saving files and configuration files/profiles for various programs, i.e. Open Office, Opera, Firefox,
    Thunderbird and some as yet unfound newsreader that works on both linux and windows, on a
    usb key drive. My desire is to have a transportable OS and R/W storage setup that will work on
    a couple different windows based machines so when I visit away from my machine I can still enjoy
    my basic setup. Assuming that the away machines have no issues with booting knoppix, the unknown
    at the moment is will knoppix programs, i.e. firefox, work with a profile on a keydrive? I've done
    some searches and read the faq. I'm interested in workability of specific programs,
    Open Office
    Firefox
    Thunderbird
    Opera
    using an usb key drive to store data/profiles/documents/etc and migrating between machines that otherwise
    have no issues with knoppix. Thanks,

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    yes, saveconf and permanent home will let you do these things.
    First make the permanent home on the USB key, save the configs reboot and make the changes you want in your userprofile (the saved configs are for systemwide things).
    if you do not reboot the changes wil not be saved to your new /home/knoppix, OK, you could "force" things but a reboot is the easy way.

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix on a virtual machine
    By tre in forum Laptops
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-25-2008, 07:10 PM
  2. I can't connect (by ssh) to my Knoppix 4.0 machine
    By ugo in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-02-2005, 04:02 PM
  3. Knoppix 3.7 on hde,not running as hda on another machine
    By honigbaer in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-22-2005, 06:48 PM
  4. Mozilla, Knoppix or My Machine
    By beforewisdom in forum General Support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-15-2004, 12:43 AM
  5. Screen resolution problem is independent of window managers
    By Dan Connell in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-04-2003, 12:22 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OEM 68Wh 3HWPP Battery For Dell Latitude 5401 5501 5410 5510 E5411 E5511 picture

OEM 68Wh 3HWPP Battery For Dell Latitude 5401 5501 5410 5510 E5411 E5511

$28.99



New Genuine OEM Dell Latitude 5420 5520 3560 4 Cell Laptop Battery RJ40G M033W picture

New Genuine OEM Dell Latitude 5420 5520 3560 4 Cell Laptop Battery RJ40G M033W

$49.95



NEW OEM V6W33 Battery WV3K8 Dell Inspiron 3510 5510 Latitude 3320 3330 3515 picture

NEW OEM V6W33 Battery WV3K8 Dell Inspiron 3510 5510 Latitude 3320 3330 3515

$47.95



OEM Genuine 63WH RJ40G Battery For Dell Latitude 5420 5520 Precision 3560 M033W picture

OEM Genuine 63WH RJ40G Battery For Dell Latitude 5420 5520 Precision 3560 M033W

$31.69



OEM Genuine 86WH 69KF2 Battery For Dell XPS 15 9500 Precision 5550 M59JH M15 M17 picture

OEM Genuine 86WH 69KF2 Battery For Dell XPS 15 9500 Precision 5550 M59JH M15 M17

$45.49



OEM 68Wh 3HWPP Battery For Dell Latitude 5401 5411 15 5501 5511 Precision 3541 picture

OEM 68Wh 3HWPP Battery For Dell Latitude 5401 5411 15 5501 5511 Precision 3541

$35.78



GENUINE (OEM ) Dell LATITUDE 7420 Battery & Cable Y4FRN (TYPE 7FMXV) picture

GENUINE (OEM ) Dell LATITUDE 7420 Battery & Cable Y4FRN (TYPE 7FMXV)

$19.99



Dell OEM 240W 7.4mm 19.5V 12.3A Big Barrel AC Adapter Mixed Model B Grade picture

Dell OEM 240W 7.4mm 19.5V 12.3A Big Barrel AC Adapter Mixed Model B Grade

$19.99



OEM YRDD6 Battery For Dell Inspiron 3582 3593 3793 5493 5584 5593 5480 5590 5594 picture

OEM YRDD6 Battery For Dell Inspiron 3582 3593 3793 5493 5584 5593 5480 5590 5594

$15.02



OEM Genuine 62WH 6MT4T Battery For Dell Latitude E5470 E5570 6MT4T 07V69Y 7V69Y picture

OEM Genuine 62WH 6MT4T Battery For Dell Latitude E5470 E5570 6MT4T 07V69Y 7V69Y

$36.66