You can simply burn the cmg files to a CD/DVD (no tar necessary - they are already compressed). They run even from CD/DVD. And if you want to donate your dead Mac Mini to the klik team, we'd happily accept your donation![]()
I was returning to my Simply Mepis Linux box after my Mac Mini hard drive crashed without warning. I had tried Klik with Suse 10 before and was not able to get any of the applications I tried to work. This was a number of months ago - maybe 4. Now I tried Klik with Simply Mepis 3.4-3 final and was pleasantly surprised that all the applications that I needed minus the ones I got through Synaptic worked great. I got Adobe Reader, Inkscape-latest, Koffice 1.5 beta, Opera 8.5, and SeaMonkey installed and they work fine, although the Flash plugin which works in the Firefox that came with Simply Mepis doesn't work in the Opera or SeaMonkey Klik files, I am very impressed at how much this project has come along. Once KDE 4 and whatever version Gnome comes out with in their corresponding version and once Klik is not labelled as experimental, then I will put my mom on Linux. Right now she is on a Mac, but she doesn't want to spend money to keep the software up to date and she trusts my judgement. What is holding me back from switching entirely to Linux is waiting for the next version of Inkscape and Scribus and Xara LX 1.0.
I have a question, though. I want to reinstall Simply Mepis when I sign up for the subscription at the beginning of next month and then install just from the CDs for extra applications plus the Klik packages that I have installed, because I don't want anything installed from Debian repositories on the web as I heard Debian has been unstable for a long time. The question is - how do I back up and then restore the CMG files. Do I put them in a tar.gz file and then burn them to CD-ROM and then just copy them back over and after I reinstall Simply Mepis and then reinstall klik? Would that work, or do I need to then reinstall from the web?
You can simply burn the cmg files to a CD/DVD (no tar necessary - they are already compressed). They run even from CD/DVD. And if you want to donate your dead Mac Mini to the klik team, we'd happily accept your donation![]()
My hard drive failed but the rest is fine but its under warranty so the parts and labor are free. But I am donating money to open source projects. I could donate some money to Klik at the begginning of May if you provide a link. If you use Paypal please provide the option to just use a credit card as I have closed my PayPal account due to phishing attacks.
Thanks for the help too.
Where are the preferences kept? In the user home folder or the cmg file? It sounds like the preferences are kept in the user's home directory if you can run it off a CD-ROM.
Yes, the prefs are kept in the home directory (just like most apps do anyway, this is nothing special to klik).
Thanks, that sounds like a good idea. I got them all backed up now.

SK Hynix 64B PC4-2933Y Server Memory DDR4 RAM HMAA8GR7MJR4N-WM
$499.99
Samsung 16GB 2Rx4 PC4-2133P DDR4 ECC Server Memory RDIMM M393A2G40DB0-CPB
$104.95
SK Hynix 64GB PC4-2666V RDIMM Server Memory RAM HMAA8GL7CPR4N-VK
$299.99
2 in 1 USB 3.0 Card Reader Micro TF card Reader usb adapter High Speed Cardreder
$3.99
SK Hynix Server Memory 32GB (1x32GB) RAM DDR4 2400MHz HMA84GR7MFR4N Lot of 12
$1599.99
Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90
Micron MTA18ASF2G72PDZ-3G2J3 16GB 2Rx8 PC4-3200AA DDR4 ECC Server Memory RDIMM
$114.95
Apple 64GB (32GB x 2) DDR4 2666MHz RAM SK Hynix SODIMM 2Rx8 HMAA4GS6AJR8N-VK
$600.00
MICRON MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6E1 | 32GB PC4-2666V ECC RDIMM Server RAM
$184.95
x4 Intel 128GB NMB1XXD128GPS Optane Memory 200 Series PMEM Module 3200 DDR4 RAM
$329.99