Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: newbie in difficulty: can't use the CD or internet after HD

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    5

    newbie in difficulty: can't use the CD or internet after HD

    I have been using Knoppix (ver 4) from CD very happily for a month, all day every day, to see if it worked for me. It did, so I decided to move to HD install. I used the knoppix-installer script, and chose the Debian option- which seemed to work fine. At the end of the process, it said "Everything worked fine." and for all of the rest of that day I used the computer happily including internet and both CD drives, and switched off.
    When I rebooted the next day, problems: I can't use the CD drive or the CD R/W drive; neither are visible. Both were automatically recognised and mounted when I loaded from CD but now they have disappeared. And I can't connect to the internet or to my local network (I have 3 other PCs running windows connected via an ADSL router at 192.168.0.1)

    I'm missing something, surely; but after two days of trying to find Debian documentation (which all either assumes I know absolutely nothing, or else absolutely everything) I'm frustrated and need urgently to get back to work- whi I can't do if the damn PC doesn't work!

    Can anyone point me in the right direction?

    Thanks

    ginestre

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    31
    had a similair pb whith adsl

    ther was a lin in /etc/network/interfaces missing
    # The loopback interface
    # automatically added when upgrading
    auto lo eth0
    iface lo inet loopback
    iface eth0 inet dhcp

    for yuor CD pb
    try to mount them in a console type

    su
    mount /dev/cdrom

    and have a look in man mount

Similar Threads

  1. Internet setup for a newbie
    By zkeeper in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-18-2006, 12:17 AM
  2. newbie needs help with wireless internet setup
    By zx2max in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-18-2005, 10:42 PM
  3. Extreme Newbie - Internet problem
    By Warrior in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-06-2005, 01:37 PM
  4. newbie needs Internet Help
    By mebdrew in forum Networking
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-02-2004, 07:20 PM
  5. Need help for internet; complete newbie!
    By MusicLaunch in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-22-2003, 09:53 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel  Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD picture

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD

$1599.99



Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For  RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series picture

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series

$375.00



IBM EMC 091-000-091 17 Inch Rackmount LCD Keyboard KVM Console 03N7012 picture

IBM EMC 091-000-091 17 Inch Rackmount LCD Keyboard KVM Console 03N7012

$109.99



IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM

$179.99



IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU picture

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU

$999.99



IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES picture

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES

$110.30



IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1) picture

IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1)

$150.00



IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU picture

IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU

$225.00



IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon  E5620 picture

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620

$199.99



Lot of 4 IBM 52Y4089 POWER7 CPU Processor Modules Server CPUs picture

Lot of 4 IBM 52Y4089 POWER7 CPU Processor Modules Server CPUs

$49.99