Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Pre-Knoppix 3.4 Grub boot question

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4

    Pre-Knoppix 3.4 Grub boot question

    I'm trying to figure out how to boot an older version of Knoppix as a poormans with Grub. I can boot the kernel OK but can't seem to figure out init. I get a kernel panic. I tried init=/boot/linuxrc on the append line but it didn't like that. Does anyone remember the 'olden days' of Knoppix to give me a hint how to do this with Grub? Thanks

  2. #2
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Menlo Park, California
    Posts
    674

    Re: Pre-Knoppix 3.4 Grub boot question

    Quote Originally Posted by clivesay
    I'm trying to figure out how to boot an older version of Knoppix as a poormans with Grub. I can boot the kernel OK but can't seem to figure out init. I get a kernel panic. I tried init=/boot/linuxrc on the append line but it didn't like that. Does anyone remember the 'olden days' of Knoppix to give me a hint how to do this with Grub? Thanks
    Try the link in here: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...?p=53357#53357
    and this one: http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Win_Partition
    Cheers, Gilles

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    159
    Copied from a 3.4 isolinux.cfg:
    APPEND ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=uk apm=power-off hda=scsi hdb=scsi hdc=scsi hdd=scsi hde=scsi hdf=scsi hdg=scsi hdh=scsi vga=791 initrd=minirt24.gz nomce quiet BOOT_IMAGE=knoppix

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4
    I appreciate the help. The info you gave was concerning Knoppix 3.4. I need help with grub and older versions like 3.2 or 3.3. I know how to configure grub itself, I'm just having trouble with this init error. Thanks

  5. #5
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Menlo Park, California
    Posts
    674
    Quote Originally Posted by clivesay
    I appreciate the help. The info you gave was concerning Knoppix 3.4. I need help with grub and older versions like 3.2 or 3.3. I know how to configure grub itself, I'm just having trouble with this init error. Thanks
    The first version of initrd I have modified for iso boot from ntfs was for Knoppix 3.4
    and as far as I know this is the first (and possibly last) version made by the Japanese team as well.
    If you are not booting the KNOPPIX cloop image from a ntfs partition, you may try the bootfrom= cheatcode.
    Best Regards,
    Gilles

    PS: just as a curiosity, why can't you use a more recent version of Knoppix ?

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4
    I'll explain why I'm doing this.....

    I'm building a grub CD that contains a history of releases of Damn Small Linux. I boot the Knoppix 3.4 versions with grub all the time but the old versions of DSL used lilo. I'm trying to figure out how to get the older ones to boot with grub so I can put them on the CD.

    Thanks

Similar Threads

  1. Question about KNOPPIX bootable floppy image with GRUB
    By wslkevin in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 09-21-2004, 05:31 AM
  2. Grub settings, quick question... really my last question :p
    By mark1221 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-01-2003, 10:32 PM
  3. Grub Question
    By iamanewbie in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-01-2003, 11:49 AM
  4. Grub loader question
    By iamanewbie in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-24-2003, 12:59 PM
  5. Grub question
    By JNeuhoff in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-24-2003, 12:13 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Seagate ST6000NM0115 6TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5

Seagate ST6000NM0115 6TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive

$159.99



HGST Ultrastar 4TB SAS 12Gb/s 7200RPM 3.5

HGST Ultrastar 4TB SAS 12Gb/s 7200RPM 3.5" HDD HUS726040AL5214 4Kn

$56.00



HUS726060ALA640 HGST Ultrastar  6TB SATA 6Gbps 7.2K 3.5

HUS726060ALA640 HGST Ultrastar 6TB SATA 6Gbps 7.2K 3.5" Hard Drive OF21860

$129.99



Seagate BarraCuda ST5000LM000 5TB 5400RPM SATA III 6Gb/s 2.5

Seagate BarraCuda ST5000LM000 5TB 5400RPM SATA III 6Gb/s 2.5" Internal Hard

$169.99



Hitachi  / HGST Travelstar HTS541010B7E610 1TB 2.5

Hitachi / HGST Travelstar HTS541010B7E610 1TB 2.5" SATA III HDD

$29.99



HITACHI ULTRASTAR 2TB 7.2K 6G 3.5INCH SATA HDD HUS724020ALA640 | TESTED WIPED picture

HITACHI ULTRASTAR 2TB 7.2K 6G 3.5INCH SATA HDD HUS724020ALA640 | TESTED WIPED

$34.95



Western Digital 2TB WD2003FYYS-02W0B0 3.5

Western Digital 2TB WD2003FYYS-02W0B0 3.5" SATA 7200RPM Hard Drive

$44.99



Seagate Enterprise ST6000NM0034 6TB 7.2K RPM SAS-12Gb/s 128MB 3.5

Seagate Enterprise ST6000NM0034 6TB 7.2K RPM SAS-12Gb/s 128MB 3.5"HDD (not SATA)

$69.99



New Western Digital WD40EFPX 68C6CN0 4TB 3.5

New Western Digital WD40EFPX 68C6CN0 4TB 3.5" SATA III Internal NAS Red Plus HDD

$137.59



HDD 3.5

HDD 3.5" SATA Hard Drive with Windows 10/Win 11 64x Installed Legacy

$35.00