Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Boot Prompt Loop

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1

    Boot Prompt Loop

    I am new to Knoppix. I downloaded it on friday through bitorrent, and burned the ISO file at 2x speed. My computer meets all the requirements and I was able to use Knoppix Friday night, all day Saturday and most of Sunday. On Sunday I was using Knoppix on my laptop while I used my main computer for other applications. When I put my DvD into the main computer and restarted it, I got a Buffer I/O error; i know these come from a corrupt or incomplete ISO file. That is not my problem. My problem is that after the Kernel paniced I ejected the CD and restarted my computer, it took me to the Knoppix boot prompt without the DvD in the drive. I did not partition it to my hard drive. Basically it goes through the same errors, panics, I restart and I'm back at the boot prompt screen. Is it because I could not properly exit Knoppix that some of it is still on the hard drive and loading first before Windows XP does? How would I go about fixing this? I was thinking of trying to burn another DvD and putting it into the drive and hoping it would fix the error and I could exit the program correctly. Any help would be great.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    first of i want to make a few statements.

    if you have NOT made a install this could not happen, simple as that.
    why?
    FIRST
    as Knoippix runs from RAM unless you tell it otherwise, EVERYTHING should vanish with a reboot,
    or atleast if you power it of and leave it so for a while.
    SECOND
    Knoppix does not mount your disks unless you tell it to, and then READ ONLY!
    YES you CAN remount read/write but that requires you to make an active choise.
    same thing with install. there you have to take SEVERAL actions to achive it.

    NOW, to your problem.

    what exactly did you try when things went wrong?
    what is the error you get?
    i am confused, this should not happen, nt withpout you (or someone else) making several active choises.

Similar Threads

  1. blacklist at boot prompt?
    By joekrahn in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-25-2009, 05:16 PM
  2. How to do this at boot prompt
    By Andrews in forum Laptops
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-07-2008, 08:04 AM
  3. Boot Knoppix by GRUB without compressed loop FS?
    By CarNagE in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-16-2006, 03:19 PM
  4. Knoppix 3.4 can't get to boot prompt
    By abbynormal in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-06-2005, 03:24 AM
  5. Cannot type anything at boot prompt !
    By markraem in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-06-2004, 09:51 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch picture

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch

$19.99



NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch picture

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch

$49.99



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed picture

TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed

$199.99



NETGEAR 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch (Gs305) - Desktop Quiet Fanless picture

NETGEAR 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch (Gs305) - Desktop Quiet Fanless

$16.41



5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S... picture

5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...

$9.64



10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W picture

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W

$39.99



TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern picture

TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern

$15.25



5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play picture

5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play

$31.99



D-Link DGS-1210-28P 28-Port PoE Gigabit Web Smart Switch With Cord picture

D-Link DGS-1210-28P 28-Port PoE Gigabit Web Smart Switch With Cord

$49.99