-
Knoppix and security
If knoppix can access your computer's harddrive, how can I prevent someone from using a knoppix CD to steal data from my computer when I'm not around? Do I have to encrypt all of my data files from now on?
-
Senior Member
registered user
<snip>
...how can I prevent someone from using a knoppix CD to steal data from my computer when I'm not around?
</snip>
How do you prevent data theft NOW? Someone could boot into almost any version of Windows (especially Win9x) and do the same thing from there, even if Windows itself is password-protected. Even if you have a password on your screensaver, a simple reboot will usually dump that.
Your best bet is to password-protect your system from within the BIOS-setting utility you can access at boot-up -- but you had better be sure to remember the password, because it can be a lot of work to get around it. Even in the case of a BIOS password, it is possible to bypass it (in most cases) by opening the machine and dumping the CMOS settings. I guess you could lock the case closed and put a locking insert in the floppy drive... but I think you get the idea!
Similar Threads
-
By keithl in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 09-29-2004, 08:12 AM
-
By lordb in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 05-02-2004, 06:43 AM
-
By Neo-Rio in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 03-08-2004, 03:11 PM
-
By Chapter0 in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 2
Last Post: 07-25-2003, 11:10 AM
-
By Bd84 in forum General Support
Replies: 12
Last Post: 05-27-2003, 04:16 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90

2024 Full Version Office Professional Plus for 1 PC Flash USB Drive
$89.99

2021 Full Version Office Professional Plus for 1 PC Flash USB Drive
$59.99

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot
$269.10

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB
$8.47

LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s
$39.80

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC
$49.99

Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive
$35.00

128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service
$39.99