-
Knoppix and security
If knoppix can access your computer's harddrive, how can I prevent someone from using a knoppix CD to steal data from my computer when I'm not around? Do I have to encrypt all of my data files from now on?
-
Senior Member
registered user
<snip>
...how can I prevent someone from using a knoppix CD to steal data from my computer when I'm not around?
</snip>
How do you prevent data theft NOW? Someone could boot into almost any version of Windows (especially Win9x) and do the same thing from there, even if Windows itself is password-protected. Even if you have a password on your screensaver, a simple reboot will usually dump that.
Your best bet is to password-protect your system from within the BIOS-setting utility you can access at boot-up -- but you had better be sure to remember the password, because it can be a lot of work to get around it. Even in the case of a BIOS password, it is possible to bypass it (in most cases) by opening the machine and dumping the CMOS settings. I guess you could lock the case closed and put a locking insert in the floppy drive... but I think you get the idea!
Similar Threads
-
By keithl in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 09-29-2004, 08:12 AM
-
By lordb in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 05-02-2004, 06:43 AM
-
By Neo-Rio in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 03-08-2004, 03:11 PM
-
By Chapter0 in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 2
Last Post: 07-25-2003, 11:10 AM
-
By Bd84 in forum General Support
Replies: 12
Last Post: 05-27-2003, 04:16 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

VINTAGE 1990 Hayes LANstep Network Computer Operating System v1.00 SEALED NEW
$888.00

Vintage Computer - PC Innovation Intel 486DX2 - Dos Ver 6.2 Windows 3.1
$250.00

Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New
$75.00

Vintage Microsoft Visual Studio.NET Professional Software suite Version 2002 New
$82.00

Vintage 1993 & 1994 Microsoft Home DINOSAURS PC Mac Game Software CD-Rom NEW
$299.99

Vintage 1991 Applied Engineering AE Sonic Blaster Apple IIGS Sound Card SEALED
$699.99

Vintage 2006 Juicy Couture House of Juicy Velour Laptop Sleeve Y2K NWT Rare
$199.99

SEALED Iomega PCMCIA to Fast SCSI II Adapter Jaz Card & Cable | VINTAGE NEW
$169.99

🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2112A 21MX M-SERIES 16-BIT MINICOMPUTER HP
$299.99

🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2113A 21MX 1000 E-SERIES MINICOMPUTER CHASSIS BACKPLANE
$249.00