Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Copy file from hard drive to usb flash drive

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1

    Copy file from hard drive to usb flash drive

    Hi,

    I am new to Knoppix. I just started reading Knoppix for Dummies. I booted off the live Knoppix DVD that came with the book. It booted up fine. I can browse the files on my hard drive and I can also browse the files on a flash drive I have plugged into a usb port. I would like to copy a file from the hard drive to the flash drive. I can't figure out how to do this. In Konqerer, I selected file myfile.txt on the hard drive and clicked on "Copy" in the Edit menu. Then I went to the Konqerer window showing the flash drive and tried to paste the file. I got a message saying "Could not write to /mnt/uba1/bootlog.txt". Can anyone tell me how I can copy this file?

    Thanks,
    Paul

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Hampton Roads, VA USA
    Posts
    81
    It's simple, once you know the "trick". Right click the link on your desktop that corresponds to the USB drive, I'll assume /mnt/sda1 in this case. Choose Action and then Change read/write mode. You'll be asked if you really want to remount as writeable so choose yes if you do. That should be all you need to do to be able to copy your file to the thumb drive. Remember though, unmount the drive before you shut down to ensure you don't corrupt anything (has to do with write cacheing). Again, you can do this by right clicking the desktop.

    'Goon

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-25-2008, 04:11 PM
  2. Can't see USB hard drive to copy crashed HD files to
    By Maninafix in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-13-2007, 02:36 AM
  3. How to copy USB flash drive
    By thechin in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-23-2006, 05:31 PM
  4. Installing Knoppix 3.8 to Your Hard Drive (Flash)
    By Irongeek in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-30-2005, 07:56 AM
  5. Copy files to my hard drive
    By _Larry_ in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-03-2005, 09:48 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray picture

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray

$39.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



HGST Ultrastar HUS726040AL5210 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s Enterprise HDD picture

HGST Ultrastar HUS726040AL5210 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s Enterprise HDD

$41.00



20TB 7200 RPM SATA III Internal 3.5

20TB 7200 RPM SATA III Internal 3.5" White Label Hard drive

$349.99



Western Digital WD Red 4TB NAS Hard Drive WD40EFRX SATA 64MB 3.5

Western Digital WD Red 4TB NAS Hard Drive WD40EFRX SATA 64MB 3.5" HDD

$70.00



Western Digital WD Blue WD10EZEX 1 TB 3.5

Western Digital WD Blue WD10EZEX 1 TB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive

$23.99



Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



Lot of 2 HP 4TB / 128MB SATA 7.2K RPM 3.5

Lot of 2 HP 4TB / 128MB SATA 7.2K RPM 3.5" Hard Drive MB4000GCWDC /ST4000NM0033

$125.00



Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5

Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5" SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive

$24.99



WD Re 3TB Enterprise 3.5

WD Re 3TB Enterprise 3.5" HDD SATA 6Gb/s 7200RPM 64MB Cache

$70.00