Just downloaded 3.1 and can't seem to play mp3 files in xmms. The website describes xmms as an mp3 player, but elsewhere I've read that there are licensing issues for the mp3 decoder.
Has mp3 support been dropped? Can it be manually added?
Just downloaded 3.1 and can't seem to play mp3 files in xmms. The website describes xmms as an mp3 player, but elsewhere I've read that there are licensing issues for the mp3 decoder.
Has mp3 support been dropped? Can it be manually added?
<snip>
Just downloaded 3.1 and can't seem to play mp3 files in xmms.
</snip>
Hmmm... the default installation works fine for me -- in fact, I'm listening to streaming MP3s through http://www.shoutcast.com right now. As far as I know, there are no licensing issues with it.
Do the sample OGG files work? Perhaps you have a corrupted CD image or the CD itself has a problem. I'm not sure what else to suggest right now.
I got it working. Apparently, I had to start xmms with "artsdsp xmms" instead of the default "xmms". Is this normal?
Their is a plugin you can install xmmsarts which allows xmms to work with the aRts sound server so you will be able to run xmms as you normaly would.
I'm running from the CD. I suppose this means I'll have to re-master to make the change permanent. Any idea why this is not included in the default build?
I'm running from the CD. I suppose this means I'll have to re-master to make the change permanent. Any idea why this is not included in the default build?
I think re-mastering for a xmms plugin is a little over the top. If you have that much disk space (5-7gb from what I read) laying around you might as well install to the HD then any changes you make will be saved to disk.
Yes, this works for me too. To make it more or less permanent, call up the KDE menu editor and change the Xmms entry command line to "artsdsp xmms" ; and also the wmxmms entry to the same. This way when you click on a file and Xmms opens it it works properly.Originally Posted by Stephen
Thanks Stephen, I was really banging my head over this one!
I'd be interested in knowing if there's anyone that this doesn't work for....
Andy![]()

16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR3 Gamer Desktop RAM PC3 MIXED BRANDS VIPER VENGEANCE FURY
$10.00
Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit
$99.99
MTC8C1084S1SC56BD1 Micron 16GB DDR5 1Rx8 PC5-5600B 5600Mhz SO-DIMM Memory
$149.99
A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G
$21.68
Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC
$29.99
Samsung 16GB LPCAMM2 PC5 7500 DDR5 LPDDR5X CAMM2 M561K1LC4DM0-CCTGM RAM Memory
$189.00
Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q
$169.00
Crucial Laptop Ram 32GB (2x16GB) RAM DDR4 3200MHz CT16G4SFRA32A
$119.99
Micron 32GB 1x32GB DDR5 5600 CL46 ECC Unbuffered SO-DIMM MTC20C2085S1TC56BD1
$399.00
Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB 16GB 32GB 1866MHz PC3-14900 Desktop RAM Memory DIMM
$43.00