Knoppix 3.7 by default turned DMA on. 4.0.2 by default does not. You might want to try this experiment again by using the cheat code to enable DMA.
Hi all,
Some time ago I observed that Knoppix 3.7 was noticably faster than 3.8 and later when doing a copy over a network connection (1.5 to 4 times faster).
A few days ago I observed the following timings when copying all files from a DVD (about 3.9GB) to a HD:
Knoppix 3.7: a little more than 7 minutes
Windows XP: a little more than 7 minutes
Knoppix 4.02: a little more than 45 minutes (!!!!)
I was flabbergasted! Fourtyfive minutes, about 6 times the time of Knoppix 3.7 and Windows XP - that's inexcusable!
While searching the forum I didn't see any similar observation, but I came across a hint about the major change between 3.7 and anything later: UnionFS.
So, unionfs is the major suspect.
My questions:
- is this perhaps a known issue?
- Has anybody else observed any speed penalties between 3.7 and anything later?
- is another part of knoppix at fault instead of unionfs, maybe?
- if the culprit is indeed unionfs:
-- Is there way to speed things up when using it?
-- if not or if the possible speedup is too small: Is there a way to get rid of unionfs in knoppix > 3.7? Maybe not completely but for special cases, like, when a CD/DVD is involved?
All answers are greatly appreciated!
Aside of the above, Knoppix has become my favorite distro, I even replaced a SuSE 10.0 with a knoppix installation - so BIG THANKS for the great work!
Then again, unless I find a solution for this speed problem, I cannot recommend it to friends anymore, at least nothing above 3.7. Please help!
Dirk
Knoppix 3.7 by default turned DMA on. 4.0.2 by default does not. You might want to try this experiment again by using the cheat code to enable DMA.
---
Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.
Ah. Maybe. I will try again later today. Hmm, do you happen to know when this default setting has been changed?
Thanks a heap!!
Dirk
Don't know the exact point of change, but I know it was enabled in 3.7 and is disabled now. Caused too many booting problems for too many people. dma=off seems to be a better default, as it will let many (but not all) people who can use DMA still boot, although things will be slower. Forget which way 3.8 was.
---
Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.
Thanks! I'll see and report the results later (hopefully less than 24 hours later).
But still... 6 times slower when reading from a new DVD drive... well, I can hardly wait to get home now.
Result for 4.02 with dma:
3.2GB in 6m41. Phew! It is the dma. Now I'm releaved.
Harry, thank you VERRY much!!
I didn't expect the dma to make such a big difference. 6 times! Whew!

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb
$1694.85
External SSD 1TB 2TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.1 Type-C High Speed PC Mac
$15.99
Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$90.00
Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$427.48
Acer Aspire 14" AI Copilot+PC Laptop Core Ultra 5 226V Gen 4 ARC 16GB 1TB Refurb
$441.77
HP ZBook Fury G8 15.6'' Intel Xeon W-11955M 2.6GHz 64GB RAM 1TB SSD RTX A2000
$599.99
SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM
$159.99
Acer Aspire 16 16" Laptop Core Ultra 5 226V S2 16GB RAM 1TB SSD Arc Refurbished
$519.99
Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$288.98
External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac
$19.99