-
Big speed decrease: 3.7 -> 3.8 or later
Hi all,
Some time ago I observed that Knoppix 3.7 was noticably faster than 3.8 and later when doing a copy over a network connection (1.5 to 4 times faster).
A few days ago I observed the following timings when copying all files from a DVD (about 3.9GB) to a HD:
Knoppix 3.7: a little more than 7 minutes
Windows XP: a little more than 7 minutes
Knoppix 4.02: a little more than 45 minutes (!!!!)
I was flabbergasted! Fourtyfive minutes, about 6 times the time of Knoppix 3.7 and Windows XP - that's inexcusable!
While searching the forum I didn't see any similar observation, but I came across a hint about the major change between 3.7 and anything later: UnionFS.
So, unionfs is the major suspect.
My questions:
- is this perhaps a known issue?
- Has anybody else observed any speed penalties between 3.7 and anything later?
- is another part of knoppix at fault instead of unionfs, maybe?
- if the culprit is indeed unionfs:
-- Is there way to speed things up when using it?
-- if not or if the possible speedup is too small: Is there a way to get rid of unionfs in knoppix > 3.7? Maybe not completely but for special cases, like, when a CD/DVD is involved?
All answers are greatly appreciated!
Aside of the above, Knoppix has become my favorite distro, I even replaced a SuSE 10.0 with a knoppix installation - so BIG THANKS for the great work!
Then again, unless I find a solution for this speed problem, I cannot recommend it to friends anymore, at least nothing above 3.7. Please help!
Dirk
Similar Threads
-
By play1962 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 5
Last Post: 05-09-2006, 06:14 PM
-
By lerra in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-27-2006, 11:41 PM
-
By pap2003 in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 9
Last Post: 05-28-2004, 11:14 AM
-
By folio in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-27-2004, 08:56 PM
-
By migasf in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 11-26-2003, 07:18 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Vintage Mass Microsystems DataPak 88MB Removable External SCSI Hard Drive...
$149.99

Apple Macintosh Plus 1Mb Vintage Desktop Computer w/ Keyboard & Mouse
$350.00

Vintage HP 21MX 1000 M-Series Minicomputer Chassis Backplane Parts AS-IS
$228.19

Ast Advantage Adventure 4050D Vintage Retro Computer Great Condition
$199.99

Vintage Dell Inspiron 7500 15" Pentium II 400MHz 128MB 4.8GB Windows 2000 Pro
$59.00

15pc Vintage Networking Electronics Lot Netgear Linksys D-Link Roku Untested
$85.00

Vintage Gray AC Power Cable Cord 3-Prong Plug to 3-Prong 3-Slot Connector
$50.00

Vintage Tiny KB-9805 PC Qwerty Keyboard Retro Wired #99
$54.99

Vintage 1983 Commodore 1702 Color Video CRT Monitor. Tested.
$350.00

Lot of 2 Vintage Plextor PX-43CS SCSI CD-ROM Caddy Drives + 4 Caddies Used
$55.99