-
Junior Member
registered user
What can you do with persistent home
Hi,
Using the knoppix live CD, is persistent home only useful for storing your files and documents? What else can we do with persistent home? Can we make use of persistent home to add drivers or add applications that are not found on the live CD?
Thanks.
-
Senior Member
registered user
I'm pretty sure that you could use it for installing applications and drivers that way ,although; I'm not sure if that would cause a stability issue or not, I doubt it though. See if this post helps you out any, it refers to a question about installing to the ramdisk, but the principle should be the same
-
Junior Member
registered user
Thanks dvryknopper. I'll go check out the post.
-
persistant addendum
Also persistant will save your cli schemas and past entries so u can arrow up. In addition , all your bookmarks and history are saved on your browser and most important the latest main desktop image is saved. My alsamixer switch configure was saved too! And HDD read/write mode is on!
double addendum
Check out the klik forum to add stuff
(What's klik? is a good start)
-
Junior Member
registered user
Hi Waka,
Thanks. I did a google on klik after reading your suggestion. Once I can get my knoppix to work with my Prolink Hurricane 8000 ADSL modem, I would be able to try out klik.
-
Senior Member
registered user
In your home directory you have a plenty of configs files that you can see with the 'ls -a' command. You can change the behavior of shell (editing .bashrc) and many other things editing these files. I dubt is a good idea to install apps in /home, the standard afaik is /usr/local. Anyway many people puts binaries in a path like /home/me/bin.
-
Junior Member
registered user
Hi,
I downloaded the amedyn-2004-08-04-src.tar file for my Prolink Hurricane and untar it in my persistent home. Installed it. It copied at least one file, amedyn, to /etc. I was wondering whether that file would be there after reboot because I was running liveCD. The file /etc/amedyn is persistent across reboot so it looks like /etc is also persistent.
Similar Threads
-
By alpha_geek in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 05-22-2007, 04:17 PM
-
By staran in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-18-2007, 05:41 PM
-
By lsr in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 01-21-2005, 01:04 PM
-
By Geof in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-18-2005, 03:55 PM
-
By xeerex in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 07-14-2003, 08:19 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

HYNIX 64GB (1X64GB) 2RX4 PC4-3200AA DDR4 SERVER MEMORY
$600.00

SK hynix 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 SDRAM PC4-2133P 288-Pin DIMM HMA41GU7AFR8N-TF
$65.00

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot
$288.19

Dell 16GB PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) Memory (SNPPWR5TC16G)
$89.99

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09

1x64GB Hynix HMAA8GL7MMR4N DDR4 PC4 2133P-LE0-11 4Rx4 ECC LRDIMM Server RAM
$320.00

Server Memory: Samsung 32GB 4DRx4 PC4-2133P ECC LRDIMM DDR4 M386A4G40DM0-CPB
$124.95

Lot 2x 8GB (16GB) Micron MTA18ASF1G72PZ-2G1A2IK 2133MHz DDR4 RDIMM Server Memory
$69.99

SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory
$159.98