Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Remaster from inside another distro?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2

    Remaster from inside another distro?

    Hi, How would I go about doing a remaster of knoppix 3.7 from inside ubuntu?
    I've tried doing it but after I extract the compressed filesystem and mount it I get errors about it being a read-only disk....

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    7

    Prefered way

    The prefered way is to boot from the Knoppix CD and mount the harddrive as read/write to the mastering.
    I think it is possible (though not recomended) to edit from inside your current distro.

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    87
    I agree with jstreich in that it is not recommended, especially for beginners.

    However it can be done in any distribution. If you want to extract the filesystem from the ISO within the distribution then you'll need to ensure that the cloop module is available.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    8

    Re: Remaster from inside another distro?

    Quote Originally Posted by noob001
    Hi, How would I go about doing a remaster of knoppix 3.7 from inside ubuntu?
    I've tried doing it but after I extract the compressed filesystem and mount it I get errors about it being a read-only disk....
    I originally tried that (remastering in Kanotix), but ran into trouble due to different kernels (the running one vs. the Knoppix remaster one) and different versions of GCC when trying to install a package from a tarball into the remaster.

    I have VMware so I decided to create a Virtual Machine, with the virtual CD linked to the original Knoppix ISO. Booted VMware into that and then partitioned/formatted the virtual disk (6GB + 2GB swap). This works great as I boot Knoppix and create my remaster on the virtual disk in the chroot environment.

    You can to the same without VMware, by having an empty partition on your harddrive... just boot the Knoppix CD and remaster onto that partition.

Similar Threads

  1. Will the remaster how-to and work with the new dvd distro?
    By nvgringo in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-27-2005, 12:12 AM
  2. [DISTRO] New distro Knoppix-Gentoo based (Gulp!)
    By silian87 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-15-2004, 06:46 AM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-03-2004, 04:12 PM
  4. really small distro, backup distro
    By dbojan in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-04-2003, 10:17 AM
  5. Get VMware to run *inside* Knoppix?
    By probono in forum Ideas
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-19-2003, 06:05 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$99.99



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$90.00



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$1090.00



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -

$39.99



Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health picture

Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health

$24.00



2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON picture

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON

$28.00



Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive picture

Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive

$42.99



Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD picture

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD

$129.99



EDILOCA EN880E 1TB M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen4 Internal SSD for Laptop/PC picture

EDILOCA EN880E 1TB M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen4 Internal SSD for Laptop/PC

$115.00



Netac 120GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Internal SSD 2.5'' SATAIII 6Gb/s Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 120GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Internal SSD 2.5'' SATAIII 6Gb/s Solid State Drive lot

$119.99