The prefered way is to boot from the Knoppix CD and mount the harddrive as read/write to the mastering.
I think it is possible (though not recomended) to edit from inside your current distro.
Hi, How would I go about doing a remaster of knoppix 3.7 from inside ubuntu?
I've tried doing it but after I extract the compressed filesystem and mount it I get errors about it being a read-only disk....
The prefered way is to boot from the Knoppix CD and mount the harddrive as read/write to the mastering.
I think it is possible (though not recomended) to edit from inside your current distro.
I agree with jstreich in that it is not recommended, especially for beginners.
However it can be done in any distribution. If you want to extract the filesystem from the ISO within the distribution then you'll need to ensure that the cloop module is available.
I originally tried that (remastering in Kanotix), but ran into trouble due to different kernels (the running one vs. the Knoppix remaster one) and different versions of GCC when trying to install a package from a tarball into the remaster.Originally Posted by noob001
I have VMware so I decided to create a Virtual Machine, with the virtual CD linked to the original Knoppix ISO. Booted VMware into that and then partitioned/formatted the virtual disk (6GB + 2GB swap). This works great as I boot Knoppix and create my remaster on the virtual disk in the chroot environment.
You can to the same without VMware, by having an empty partition on your harddrive... just boot the Knoppix CD and remaster onto that partition.

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller
$64.99
Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003
$639.69
G-Technology G-SPEED Studio XL 48TB Thunderbolt 2 Storage - Housing Only
$200.00
HP controller P3410-69003 NetRAID-1M SCSI 64-bit U160 32MB Cache (PCI)
$359.00
OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad 4 Bay RAID Storage Enclosure USB 3.1 Gen 2 No Drives
$149.95
LSI 9260-8i 512MB SAS SATA 8-port PCI-E 6Gb RAID Controller Card US
$29.88
MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00
$1619.30
Inspur LSI YZCA-00424-101 12Gbps SAS 3.0 RAID Controller CARD HBA HDD
$14.99
Serial ATA two-port SATA PCI card (SiI3112 sil3112 chipset)
$18.99
KTN-STL3 EMC VNX 15-slot Disk Array Expansion, full 15 x 2tb drives 100% health
$360.00