Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: I can't get Knoppix to work with DHCP

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2

    I can't get Knoppix to work with DHCP

    I've tried several different Linux Live OSes, including the Knoppix 5.0 DVD.
    Knoppix says it recognizes my ethernet card, which is a built in NForce as part of this motherboard:
    http://www.msi.com.tw/program/suppor...UID=702&kind=1

    Knoppix says the device is working correctly, but then when I try a URL, I get "Temporary failure in name resolution".
    When I try the DHCP configuration with an IP address, I get: "Network is unreachable"
    When I try manually configuring using settings from Windows, I get "No route to host".

    Everything works fine with DHCP (or a manual configuration) under Windows XP, so it's not a hardware problem.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    N42.41 W73 and change
    Posts
    401
    Hello,

    Knoppix sees your network card but may not have loaded drivers for it. Looking at the link for the motherboard it appears that there are two possible chipsets , depending on the model. You need to determine which one you have, then find out if knoppix or any of the other live CD distros come with drivers for it. If they don't you will have to find drivers and download and install them yourself (saving them on other media for use when you boot the live CD).

    Once you find the chipset, try googling the name of the chipset with "knoppix" or "linux" and see what comes up.

    HTH

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    3

    Re: I can't get Knoppix to work with DHCP

    I have the same kind of problem with KNOPPIX V5.0 DVD. The KNOPPIX V4.0.2 was working correctly. So I suspect it is the newer kernel in combination with a cheap ADSL-router (Etech), I think the two do not interact properly when they do DHCP configuration.

    I use the following script to connect to the internet. In my case the router is set on 10.10.10.100.
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    
    ifconfig eth0 10.10.10.105 up
    #ifconfig
    route add default gw 10.10.10.100
    #route
    
    echo nameserver 217.149.196.6 > /etc/resolv.conf
    echo nameserver 217.149.192.6 >> /etc/resolv.conf
    cat /etc/resolv.conf
    Once run I'm connected to the internet perfectly fine.

    This way I can continue to use the newest KNOPPIX, but I'm interested in where the problem comes from. Anyone??

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2

    Re: I can't get Knoppix to work with DHCP

    I fixed the problem. If you have booted Windows Xp in the last 6 hours or so, you must release the DHCP lease with the Windows command "ipconfig /release". You may also need to disconnect the ethernet or turn off the computer, not sure. It might be OK if you were only briefly in Windows, so that maybe it didn't obtain a new lease.

    Now that we know the specific source of this problem, is there some way to have Linux take care of this by itself, especially for the live CD/DVDs that Windows users might try? ifdown eth0, ifup eth0 didn't work. It seems that if there is an active DHCP lease iniated by Windows, Linux can't deal with it. Vice versa is not a problem at all.

    This explains the situation.
    http://www.janmaes.com/?page=36

Similar Threads

  1. knoppix 5.0.1 on HDD and DHCP
    By och in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-09-2007, 01:04 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-29-2005, 08:58 AM
  3. can't get dhcp to work
    By zZyXx in forum Networking
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-03-2004, 05:57 PM
  4. DHCP works then it DOES NOT WORK
    By dugstratton in forum Networking
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-15-2004, 08:30 PM
  5. DHCP & knoppix 1/20/03
    By rec9140 in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-24-2003, 07:08 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11 picture

Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11

$62.55



MICRON MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6D1 32GB PC4-21300R DDR4-2666V RDIMM 2RX4 MEMORY DIMM picture

MICRON MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6D1 32GB PC4-21300R DDR4-2666V RDIMM 2RX4 MEMORY DIMM

$139.99



TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot picture

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot

$573.98



Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



Samsung 64gb PC4-3200AA 2Rx4 DDR4 ECC LRDIMM Memory M393A8G40AB2-CWE - PARTS picture

Samsung 64gb PC4-3200AA 2Rx4 DDR4 ECC LRDIMM Memory M393A8G40AB2-CWE - PARTS

$1450.00



HMCG88MEBRA115N Hynix 32GB 2RX8 PC5-38400 DDR5-4800MHz ECC REG RDIMM Memory picture

HMCG88MEBRA115N Hynix 32GB 2RX8 PC5-38400 DDR5-4800MHz ECC REG RDIMM Memory

$1345.00



Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM  M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q picture

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q

$169.00



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$202.50



Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick picture

Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick

$289.80