Discuss away.
Kanotix is so close to knoppix that any information for knoppix is also relevant to kanotix & visa versa. There are regular users of this forum who actually use kanotix, some have made remasters.
So far ... I love Kanotix.
But I have a hard time remastering it. Most of the support is in german so I have some problems.
Also, grub and squashfs is used and based on the 3.4 architecture (I think ...).
Would be great if we can discuss how to remaster kanotix as it has lots of features and goodies.
Anyone can help me out here?
Thanks!
Discuss away.
Kanotix is so close to knoppix that any information for knoppix is also relevant to kanotix & visa versa. There are regular users of this forum who actually use kanotix, some have made remasters.
Unfortunately you cannot use the knoppix remaster program for remastering the kanotix cd. I tried once, before I could find any info on it. I too would like to know how to do this. I think you have to do the manual style of remastering with Kanotix. I haven't had the time to give it a try. I want to add the Windows password reset program at boot that comes on the Austrumi live cd.
With the help of the normal documentation, the knoppix script, the german forum at Kanotix (with help of babel fish translator) and a few days of research and testing ... I finally got it to work
Will post the details later. I was attempting to make a cd less than 185mb and boot it off my USB drive with the actual kanotix iso file in it. Works!
About 10 sec after booting, I can take the cd out and it continues to run off my USB. Full features of the original ISO.
Kanotix is really wonderful![]()
Hello all,
I too am using Kanotix (kernel 2.6.9-kanotix8 fix2) in preference to Knoppix (3-7) as it has better hw support.
Also I would like to remaster soon but waiting for ALL kde packages to go 3.3.2 version onwards (nearly there!).
Will be attempting soon...
Now, to my point. As Kanotix uses Grub, can anyone tell if the following would be correct:-
Copy from live cd :- /cdrom/boot/grub (folders/directories)** to /mnt/hdxx/knx/source/master/KNOPPIX/
Before remastering, change your boot preferences in grub menu txt file when copied to .../master/KNOPPIX.
** note: /cdrom folder is empty in chroot (source copy) when viewing (ie Konqueror).
Asking in advance,
Winslayer.
Could you please post your howto.
The two scripts I include here are cut down versions of what I'm using to make ParallelKnoppix, starting with Kanotix Easter edition. The full versions will be on the next release of PK, when it comes out.
The first copies the CD contents to HD. It needs to be run while you have Kanotix booted up. The second makes the ISO image, and can be run from Kanotix, or from your normal distro. You will need to edit the second script to specify the mount point of the partition to which you copied the source (in my case, "/misc", replace with whatever is appropriate). You need to have mksquashfs available to actually make the compressed filesystem. That won't be a problem if you do this while running Kanotix.
Code:#!/bin/bash # 1-CopySourceForRemaster copy the CD to HD for remastering PATH="/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin" export PATH XDIALOG_HIGH_DIALOG_COMPAT=1 export XDIALOG_HIGH_DIALOG_COMPAT # Get root [ "`id -u`" != "0" ] && exec sudo "$0" "$@" TMP="/tmp/saveconfig.tmp$$" bailout(){ rm -f "$TMP" "$TMP.done" "$TMP.err" echo "" echo "Done" exit 0 } DIALOG="dialog" [ -n "$DISPLAY" ] && [ -x /usr/bin/Xdialog ] && DIALOG="Xdialog" trap bailout 1 2 3 15 # LANGUAGE etc. [ -f /etc/sysconfig/knoppix ] && . /etc/sysconfig/knoppix [ -z "$LANG" ] && export LANG [ -z "$LANGUAGE" ] && export LANGUAGE [ -z "$CHARSET" ] && export CHARSET DESKTOPKB="$(du -sk $HOME/Desktop 2>/dev/null | awk '{print $1}')" TITLE1="ParallelKnoppix: Copy source to HD for remastering" MESSAGE1="Select a hard disk partition on which the source should be copied. A directory called parallel_knoppix_remaster will be created at the root level of that partition. Which partition would you like to use? (about 2GB free space is needed)" ERROR="That didn't work!" # Directory selector PARTITIONS="" for i in `awk '/^\/dev\/[hs]d[a-z].*\/media\/[hs]d[a-z]/{if(!/ntfs/){print $2}}' /etc/fstab`; do PARTITIONS="$PARTITIONS ${i} [Disk/Partition] off" done rm -f "$TMP" Xdialog --clear --title "$TITLE1" --radiolist "$MESSAGE1" 18 75 9 $PARTITIONS 2>"$TMP" || bailout ParKnoppixPART="$(<$TMP)" [ -z "$ParKnoppixPART" -o ! -e "$ParKnoppixPART" ] && bailout # mount the partition requested rm -f "$TMP.err" mount | grep -q "$ParKnoppixPART" || mount -r "$ParKnoppixPART" >"$TMP.err" [ "$?" != "0" ] && { $DIALOG --title "$TITLE1" --msgbox "$ERROR `cat $TMP.err`" 10 75; bailout; } mount | grep -q "$ParKnoppixPART.*ntfs" && { $DIALOG --title "$TITLE1" --msgbox "$ERROR NTFS" 10 75; bailout; } mount -o remount,rw "$ParKnoppixPART" # create the ParKnoppixPART, etc mkdir $ParKnoppixPART/parallel_knoppix_remaster export ParKnoppixDIR=$ParKnoppixPART/parallel_knoppix_remaster # get rid of old, if it exists rm -R -f $ParKnoppixDIR # copy the new mkdir $ParKnoppixDIR mkdir $ParKnoppixDIR/source mkdir $ParKnoppixDIR/source/KNOPPIX mkdir $ParKnoppixDIR/master mkdir $ParKnoppixDIR/master/KNOPPIX mkdir $ParKnoppixDIR/master/boot cp -a /cdrom/boot/ $ParKnoppixDIR/master/ cp -Rp /KNOPPIX/* $ParKnoppixDIR/source/KNOPPIX cp /cdrom/KNOPPIX/configs.tbz $ParKnoppixDIR/master/KNOPPIX cp /cdrom/KNOPPIX/background.jpg $ParKnoppixDIR/master/KNOPPIX cp /cdrom/KNOPPIX/knoppix.sh $ParKnoppixDIR/master/KNOPPIX echo "Finish configuring desktop, then reboot normal distro" echo "and proceed to chroot activities" # final report SUCCESS="OK, the ParallelKnoppix source is now on the HD, ready for remastering" $DIALOG --title "$TITLE1" --msgbox "$SUCCESS" 12 65 bailout
The second script follows:
Code:#/bin/bash # run me as root to make a new PK CD PKDIR=/misc/parallel_knoppix_remaster SOURCE=$PKDIR/source DEST=$PKDIR/master # remove old compressed fs rm -R -f $DEST/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX # make new compressed fs mksquashfs $SOURCE/KNOPPIX $DEST/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX chmod 444 $DEST/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX echo "AnotherKnoppixRemaster version: " `date +%F` > version.txt cp version.txt $DEST/version.txt cp version.txt $PKDIR/current_version.txt cd $DEST rm -f KNOPPIX/md5sums; find -type f -not -name md5sums -not -name boot.cat -exec md5sum {} \; >> KNOPPIX/md5sums mkisofs -r -l -J -v -no-emul-boot -pad -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table -hide-rr-moved -V "AnotherKnoppixRemaster" -b boot/grub/iso9660_stage1_5 -c boot/grub/boot.cat -o $PKDIR/AnotherKnoppixRemaster-`date +%F`.iso $DEST

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$145.00
OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN
$298.00
pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN
$184.99
Fortinet FortiGate FG-40F Network Security Firewall NO RACK EARS
$49.99
OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC
$175.00
Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN
$229.99
Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance
$155.75
Fortinet FortiGate 80E 12 Ports Firewall Appliance
$20.25
SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED
$999.99
Check Point 1590 Firewall & w builtin WiFI and builtin LTE sim slot
$95.99