-
Making a very small Knoppix
Hi. First of all, I know there are hundreds of post regarding remastering and I HAVE searched the forum, but didn't find anything useful. I want to make a very small Knoppix without any software (firefox,open office etc.) and I want it to be command line. Then I want to add a few programs such as Lynx and some other programs. The reason I want it so small is that I want to have it on my 128mb USB stick. I read the remastering howto but I think it seems a little overkill to transfer 2GB of data just to make a 40-50mb distro. Isn't there another way of doing this??
-
Senior Member
registered user
You are right, 2GB down to 100MB is a lot of work. See other linux distros like slax, DSL and puppy that are smaller than 128MB. See also small linux without GUI etc needed
-
DSL is 50MB, enough to fix on a bussiness card sized CD and even has a USB drive install.
Firefox and OpenOffice aren't comandline programs, they require X, and DSL (Damn Small Linux) has X, FireFox -- don't recall if OpenOffice is included or not.
Similar Threads
-
By dougvega in forum Other Live CDs
Replies: 1
Last Post: 05-15-2005, 09:55 PM
-
By isomari in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 02-11-2005, 09:45 AM
-
By bfree in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 3
Last Post: 04-24-2004, 03:21 PM
-
By YannLeMerle in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 03-07-2004, 04:33 PM
-
By nizki in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 11
Last Post: 02-22-2004, 03:19 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...
$9.64

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch
$49.99

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch
$46.99

5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play
$31.99

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch
$19.99

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W
$39.99

TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern
$15.25

Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts
$69.00

Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks
$224.95

NETGEAR 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch (Gs305) - Desktop Quiet Fanless
$25.99