You are right, 2GB down to 100MB is a lot of work. See other linux distros like slax, DSL and puppy that are smaller than 128MB. See also small linux without GUI etc needed
Hi. First of all, I know there are hundreds of post regarding remastering and I HAVE searched the forum, but didn't find anything useful. I want to make a very small Knoppix without any software (firefox,open office etc.) and I want it to be command line. Then I want to add a few programs such as Lynx and some other programs. The reason I want it so small is that I want to have it on my 128mb USB stick. I read the remastering howto but I think it seems a little overkill to transfer 2GB of data just to make a 40-50mb distro. Isn't there another way of doing this??
You are right, 2GB down to 100MB is a lot of work. See other linux distros like slax, DSL and puppy that are smaller than 128MB. See also small linux without GUI etc needed
DSL is 50MB, enough to fix on a bussiness card sized CD and even has a USB drive install.
Firefox and OpenOffice aren't comandline programs, they require X, and DSL (Damn Small Linux) has X, FireFox -- don't recall if OpenOffice is included or not.

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot
$549.00
Micron MTFDDAK256TBN 256 GB, Internal ,2.5" SSD
$23.00
Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -
$39.99
EDILOCA EN880E 1TB M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen4 Internal SSD for Laptop/PC
$115.00
Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1
$99.99
Crucial MX500 250GB 2.5" SATA III SSD - Preowned
$29.00
Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive
$42.99
2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON
$28.00
Samsung 860 EVO 250GB, SATA III, 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive - Black...
$30.00
Netac 128GB SSD 2.5'' SATA III 6 Gb/s Internal Solid State Drive 500MB/s PC/MAC
$26.00