-
Re: Knoppix on External USB HDD...Step by Step Please!!

Originally Posted by
Bit Hacker
Hi fellows. I'm tired really tired. I have spent hours on this, tried every trick on the forum. but since I'm new to the Linux...I cant make it out...Please for God sake, if anyone can mention a step by step tutorial on how to install Knoppix on external USB HDD (not flash drive). I'd be really thankful to you!!!
Well here's my first post to this forum...
I am successfully running the CD version (KNOPPIX_V4.0.2CD-2005-09-23-EN.iso) on a 1 gig USB flash drive and a 40 gig 2.5" laptop style drive that I've inserted into an external USB 2.0 case. I did not figure any of this out on my own. All of the following I gleaned from various web posts and such. These instructions for use with Windows XP...
Begin by downloading the Knoppix ISO file from www.knoppix.org. You'll need v4.0 or newer. I used KNOPPIX_V4.0.2CD-2005-09-23-EN.iso
Next download Syslinux from http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/boot/syslinux/. I used syslinux-3.11.zip.
Extract the syslinux files to C:\syslinux-3.11.
Insert your USB device into a USB slot in your PC and note the drive letter that it is assigned. Format your device with fat32. You can use the format tool within WinXP for a USB key. For a USB hard drive you will need the fat32format.exe tool found here...
http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/ind...at32format.htm
Run a command prompt in WinXP ("cmd" from the run menu entry)
"C:\syslinux-3.11\win32\syslinux.exe (target drive) (-f)" where the target drive is the letter assigned to your USB device. You will need the
"-f " for a hard drive only.
Example for a USB key "C:\syslinux-3.11\win32\syslinux.exe E:"
Example for a USB hard drive "C:\syslinux-3.11\win32\syslinux.exe E: -f"
Now mount the Knoppix ISO that you downloaded earlier. You can do this using a program like WinRAR or WinISO or by simply burning it to CD.
Copy the entire contents of the Knoppix CD onto the USB device.
On the USB device, navigate to the boot\isolinux directory and move it's contents up to the root of the drive.
Delete the boot directory.
Delete ISOlinux.bin from the root of the USB device.
Rename ISOlinux.cfg to SYSlinux.cfg.
Your USB key or USB hard drive should now run Knoppix just fine.
Similar Threads
-
By milzux in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 07-07-2009, 02:02 PM
-
By Antoine in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 04-11-2005, 02:26 PM
-
By Rod F. in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 03-02-2004, 04:04 AM
-
By Craig Caughlin in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 09-14-2003, 08:10 PM
-
By ktheking in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 03-30-2003, 11:51 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black
$241.50

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 2 14" Touchscreen i7-1185G7 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11
$284.99

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 2 14" i7-1185G7 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$299.99

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 2 14" i7-1165G7 2.80GHz 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Windows 11
$284.99

Lenovo - IdeaPad Slim 3 15.6" Full HD Laptop - AMD Ryzen 5 40 2025 - 8GB Memo...
$379.99

Lenovo - Yoga 7i 2-in-1 16" 2K Touchscreen Laptop - Intel Core Ultra 5 Proces...
$749.99

Lenovo Thinkpad T14 Gen 2i 14" 16GB 512GB, Black
$313.00

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black
$241.50

Lenovo ThinkPad L390 13.3” Touchscreen Laptop Core i3 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11
$199.99

Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Yoga Gen 5 Touch 14” Laptop Core i5 16GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11
$249.99