same thing happened to me
To save time on the road, I installed KNOPPIX 4.0.2 onto my laptop HD using the Knoppix-Installer. I chose the "Knoppix type installation" instead of Debian or Beginner Default, as all I really need is a copy of the live-CD on the HD. It said the installation was good, with no errors. When I reboot it goes into GRUB, and after selecting Linux I get the following...
"Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(3,2)"
The computer locks up at that point. What can be done to fix this problem?
As a live-CD it works perfectly, hardware detection and configuration is excellent, but it would really save time to have KNOPPIX on the HD.
The installation is on a Dell Inspiron 7000 laptop, Pentium-2, 40gig HD, 256 memory. Video card is an ATI Mach 64 3D Rage LT Pro. I have it set up as a dual-boot with Windows-98, which of course is hardly ever used
Windows boots with GRUB, only problem is booting to KNOPPIX. Any ideas on how I can fix it?
Thanks in advance!
same thing happened to me
same here..
I can recommend Kanotix for a HD install. Excellent hardware detecion before and after install.
drb

Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7" Color SIP-T48S | TESTED
$34.95
Grandstream VoIP Phone Adapter ATA 1-Line Black Ethernet (RJ-45) Micro USB
$27.07
SIM Bank 32 SIM Card Slots Ethernet SIM Server for GoIP
$600.00
Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone
$49.28
Cisco/Linksys SPA2102 VoIP Phone Adapter Router 2FXS (Unlocked)
$17.99
Cisco / Linksys SPA2102 VoIP 2FXS Phone Adapter with Router (unlocked)
$18.99
Cisco CP-8875-K9 Video Phone 8875 IP Desk Phone Bluetooth Wi-Fi - Brand NEW
$399.99
YEASTAR MODEL TA2400 NEOGATE VOIP ANALOG FXS GATEWAY WITH 24 CHANNEL PHONE/FAX
$250.00
Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019
$49.99
Cisco CP-8841 IP Phone Charcoal Handset And Stand Included
$27.99