-
Senior Member
registered user
Need help configuring a knoppix mail server
I am interested in setting up knoppix so that it can receive email from a remote windows or linux client.
Using knoppix 4.0.2 I start the mail server (/etc/init.d/smail start). I can then use mutt to send an email from that host to another host sucessfully. however, if i use a remote client and thunderbird using knoppix as the account, and the IP address as the send / receive server, I am unable to attach.
Am trying to use this to send and receive network notifications, and just want to build a quick and dirty prototype to see if my scripts will do what I need.
Any help greatly appreciated.
regards,
~pau1
-
Senior Member
registered user
Cannot help you with smail, but here is how to test working with SMTP. The lines
prefixed by "#" have to be typed at the command prompt, the others are replies
from the server
#telnet localhost 25
220 localhost ESMTP
#helo localhost
250 yourserver.yourdomain
#mail from: <knoppix@localhost>
250 OK
#rcpt to: <knoppix@localhost>
250 OK
#data
354 End data with <CR><LF>.<CR><LF>
#Hello Knoppix!
#.
250 Ok: queued as 8E3DB230D9
#quit
221 Bye
Connection closed by foreign host.
(Of course, you *don't* type the "#")
Does this work?
Is there a difference when you try this from another computer? (substitute the
IPaddress of your knoppix box for localhost in the telnet command)
-
Senior Member
registered user
Thanks for the quick response back! I'll add that to my bag of tricks.
Actually, my workaround is that I am just using fetchmail / sendmail to retrieve the data from my corporate email server. MUCH easier than actually setting up email services (MX records, etc) (especially if I have to rebuild the server).
regards,
~pau1
Similar Threads
-
By Stamitz in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 09-30-2006, 02:33 PM
-
By ICPUG in forum The Lounge
Replies: 2
Last Post: 08-09-2004, 06:16 PM
-
By msmith in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 11-05-2003, 10:39 PM
-
By Mary in forum The Lounge
Replies: 2
Last Post: 10-04-2003, 02:46 AM
-
By quakes in forum The Lounge
Replies: 1
Last Post: 05-05-2003, 12:25 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...
$9.64

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch
$49.99

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99

D-Link DGS-1210-28P 28-Port PoE Gigabit Web Smart Switch With Cord
$49.99

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch
$19.99

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W
$39.99

TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern
$15.25

Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts
$69.00

TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed
$199.99

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch
$46.99